GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WOTBOX Fitting DIY tips

LukeHS3

Ready to race!
about to fit a wotbox asap, going to do it myself.. dont have any electrical experience but following the online instuctions for mkv it looks pritty simple..

anyone done this theirself and followed the instructions online? isit as simple as it looks? my car is a uk car and im presuming the instuctions are from a usa car hoping the wiring is the same colour

thanks

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
It's very easy to install. I recommend using a RF soldering iron, like a Metcal, because they work REALLY well and REALLY fast. If you don't have one of those make sure you at least have one with decent power. Apply flux if your solder doesn't want to stick, and make sure you use LEADED solder as it has better resistance to cracking under vibration. Make sure all connections are wrapped up very securely so as to protect them from the elements and also so that your soldered connection doesn't need to provide any structural support.

LukeHS3

Ready to race!
The red and black wire from the wotbox, which goes to the main red wire on the loom for ignotion coil power can you advise which end the red wire goes to and which end the black goes to? When i cut this thick red wire in half?

LukeHS3

Ready to race!
thanks for clearing that up, on the instructions it states red goes to one and black goes to the other, but then on the pictures it is showing black and red joined to the red half of the wire which goes towards the cabin? is that just a mistake on the instructions or am i looking at the pic wrong

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
thanks for clearing that up, on the instructions it states red goes to one and black goes to the other, but then on the pictures it is showing black and red joined to the red half of the wire which goes towards the cabin? is that just a mistake on the instructions or am i looking at the pic wrong

Do whatever the picture says. I don't remember having any confusion over tapping the ignition power and that's what I looked at for my install and it went perfectly.

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
That'll do it. Make sure to get the thinnest solder you can find, WITH LEAD. Lead solder is much more durable than lead-free because of the soft lead and will last longer without breaking. If your solder has trouble sticking to the wires get some flux and apply it. Make sure you heat the wires, not the solder, and when they're hot enough apply the solder and it will stick and make a good connection.

Oh, and if you want to wait a couple more months there's flatshift code available now for our ECUs so this whole function can be done in software.

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW Scirocco
about to fit a wotbox asap, going to do it myself.. dont have any electrical experience but following the online instuctions for mkv it looks pritty simple..

anyone done this theirself and followed the instructions online? isit as simple as it looks? my car is a uk car and im presuming the instuctions are from a usa car hoping the wiring is the same colour

thanks

Try this link, it could be useful in your case.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4333538-DIY-N2MB-s-WOT-Box-2-step-and-WOT-Shifting

LukeHS3

Ready to race!
That'll do it. Make sure to get the thinnest solder you can find, WITH LEAD. Lead solder is much more durable than lead-free because of the soft lead and will last longer without breaking. If your solder has trouble sticking to the wires get some flux and apply it. Make sure you heat the wires, not the solder, and when they're hot enough apply the solder and it will stick and make a good connection.

Oh, and if you want to wait a couple more months there's flatshift code available now for our ECUs so this whole function can be done in software.

This should be fine?

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-equipment/welding-supplies/draper-expert-solder-wire-100g