GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Won't start after installing electric fuel pump

diceman60

I recently installed a new in tank fuel pump in order to correct a lean issue. When I got a reading at the shop I was 3lbs below pressure. I would get fuel cuts with a p310B and p0087 code. My car was running fine just not under high load then it would just cut off altogether. Anyway I replaced my in tank fuel pump and after the install it would not start. I put the functioning pump that I knew worked back into it just to see if was the new pump that caused the issue and it still would not start. I have tried everything from checking all the lines for leaks and reinstalling the new pump again to make sure it was seated correctly. I would switch the ignition on and off 5 times before trying to crank but got nothing. I then used a small shot of ether which then it started but soon died after the ether wore out and no fuel was being supplied. Is there something that I missed? I followed this tutorial that was done on a TDI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc5KVWJJwnY teh parts are almost exactly the same. Any help? Yes there was fuel in the tank when I did the install and I'm at 3/4 of a tank.

diceman60

No I did not mix up the lines. My guess is that they may be twisted. I will have a look at them in the morning but from everything that I've checked over and over tells me that nothing is wrong.

diceman60

So it turns out the inlet and outlet were backwards. They didn't looks to be and in every other tutorial the black goes on the bottom. They cross over each other but they do work. Now I do not have any fuel cuts. I drove it on the highway and didn't run into any problems. I must have tangled the hoses when I was installing the pump somehow.