GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Windshield wiper malfunction after clock spring replacement

Pudi211

Car(s)
2009 VW Rabbit
Hi. I am new to the forum.

Today I bought a 2009 Rabbit with 97,000 miles on it. The owner told me the clock spring needed replacement as the horn didn't work and it failed the safety inspection as a result.

I bought a new clock spring, found a great video and installed the new clock spring. Easy job. I reconnected the battery and the horn worked fine. However, the windshield wipers failed to work, both front and rear, as well as, the washer pump. The wipers and washer worked prior to the clock spring replacement.

I figured maybe a fuse blew so I consulted the owners manual which said the fuse is F31 (30) which I know is a 30 amp fuse. It is supposed to be located in the engine compartment fuse box. Funny thing is, there are only 30 slots in the engine compartment fuse box. There are more than 30 in the cabin fuse box, but there is no fuse in slot 31, and no fuse located anywhere near that slot.

I then pulled everything back apart figuring maybe the circuit board under the steering wheel where all the controls and clock spring plug into was not completely connected. So I pulled that circuit board down, reinstalled and reconnected everything with the same results. I should mention the turn signal/high beam control arm works fine. My questions are:

1. Could a faulty new clock spring be the issue?
2. Where is fuse F31 actually located?
3. How can I test to see if the wiper control arm is receiving power?
4. Do the wiper control arms frequently fail>

Pudi211

Car(s)
2009 VW Rabbit
Follow up...All doors and hood need to be closed for wipers and washer to function...who woulda thought? You can delete this thread if you want...