GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Windshield cracked need advice

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
So im mad beyond belief.... went out to my car to go to lunch and there is a roughly 8inch crack in my windshield... didnt happen while I was driving. So best advice on good way to replace? Its a 17, bought in april of 17 so ya im thinking i gotta replace the whole windshield now. Retint the brow too. Or i say fuck it and burn the car and start a new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joesid

Go Kart Newbie
Sorry, but that thing needs the be replaced ASAP. The crack reaching the edge is what scares me the most. I recommend removing the interior A-pillar trim to avoid any issues with the adhesive. I share the same sentiment about burning the car and starting over lol.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
There might have been a minute crack and that might have expanded over time. Safelite (through AAA) replaced my winshield twice and i was very happy with the experience.

You can very well burnt the car for this issue [emoji4] In that scenario, i should have burnt my car twice within 6 months of my initial ownership.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
See if insurance will pay for it for free. Some states require them to.

I see the initial stone chip. There's nothing you could have done about it. As soon as the windshield heated up after you turned on the heater or defroster, the glass expanded around the chip and spread.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, no reason to panic. Most of us have replaced a windshield (or two or three...) over the years. Safelite did my last three, on my GTI twice and once on my R, all from rock impacts. I haven't had any issues and the insurance handles it well--no charge for crack fixes and a nominal deductible for a replacement, usually.

bcgti

Ready to race!
Definitely need to replace it.

In my neck of the woods (Canada) virtually every vehicle that's driven through the winter will have windshields that at best look like yours. In the last 7 years I've had to replace the windshield 4 times. So don't feel bad as it could be a lot worse!

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Thanks for all the replies, been having a shit day all in all due to work and other people problems. I'll definitly check if the insurance will cover, if not seems like safelite is a good bet. Anything to avoid the stealership

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Just make sure everything works when it has been replaced and the trim on A Pillars and around rear view mirror is not damaged. Also the auto wiper "jelly" must not be damaged so try to watch them when they take it from the old screen and place it on the new one ( you will see what I mean when they do it).

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Put a rag over your defroster vents so no glass or sealant falls into them when they remove the glass. Make sure they treat any scraped metal with a rustproof ing solution. Make sure you wipers are put back in the same position. Insist on OEM glass so you have a better chance of not needing your Lane Assist camera adjusted. What I did was to ask for one of their best techs. You might to call your insurance company even if they don't cover it, because they might guarantee the work of a shop they recommend.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
I got a stone chip which eventually spread vertically from the black on the bottom to eye from the driver's seat. I got it replaced for less than 200 with non OEM and its nice. I also have rain sensor

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Mire good replies, follow up... I looked up my insurance, I have full coverage but $1000 deductible so its not covered. Which is kinda bs as I never had a claim or remember making it $1000 deductible (i prob made it that tho). It looks like to replace is gonna be about 340$ ish. Sucks alot. I do have an S, so I don’t have lane assist. Im gonna call the insurance (progressive) tomorrow and see what they say. I’m assuming that they will say tough sh*t pay the deduct. Also im thinking of switching insurance cuz 150 a month sucks. Maybe if I ask to cancel they will cover the windshield (im not that guy) but its worth a try i guess. Its also possible (small) that it can be fixed not replaced. It could be borderline 6”. My friend at work said try superglue lolol. I think I will stick with safelite. I think they said lifetime guarantee on their site. Not sure all the in’s and out’s. I guess i can ask for a quote from vw too... shopping around always helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edrex

Ready to race!
Last time I dealt with a rock chip the insurance company told me they’d send a mobile repair tech (I think safelite) and that if the chip was repairable it would be free but if it needed replacing it would be a $150 deductible. It doesn’t fall under your collision or comprehensive coverage.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
$1000 deductible for glass? That seems odd, as most insurers have a separate deductible for glass damage. It's usually not the same as the deductible for collision. I'd check that specifically.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
$1000 deductible for glass? That seems odd, as most insurers have a separate deductible for glass damage. It's usually not the same as the deductible for collision. I'd check that specifically.

Most, but not all. I think Progressive is one of the ones that doesn't, at least on some policies.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Another update: called progressive today, got an appt setup for monday, they will come out to me, if they can fix it, it will be free. If it needs to be replaced, then its gonna cost about 350$. I do have full coverage but with the 1000 deductible, for Progressive there is no difference between collison and glass deductible. So everyone said that I should replace it, well I hope they can work their magic and just fix it (Im assuming it wont happen). Also called the dealer and got a quote for: $750 outright... so looks like worst comes to worse, safelite replaces it for 350 or fixes the crack for free.