GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Windshield chip

twisted by dezign

Interiors win races
Car(s)
08 Stage 2+ GTI
I hate trucks.

After a truck stupidly decided to merge into the fast lane to go 1 km faster than the car on the right, a huge rock flew at my windshield and chipped it. The chip is under an inch in diameter and there are no cracks.

Would it be recommended to get a DIY repair kit (which ones are good?) or to get it professionally repaired? How much could I expect a repair to be, roughly?

GTI4John74

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI
i heard you have to go OEM for that. There was a topic on this regarding rock chips and most said you have to go OEM for that, and they also mentioned something about the difference of windshield from the previous year GTIs and the latest ones.

twisted by dezign

Interiors win races
Car(s)
08 Stage 2+ GTI
Why wouldn't you be able to use a DIY or go to an auto glass shop to get it fixed? I won't be replacing it.

Also, is it possible to go through insurance for this?

FIJIParisi

GO FINS!
Car(s)
'07 BMP GTI 6MT
check local laws about repairs because here if it is "within the driver's field of vision" it cannot be repaired it MUST be replaced (which is kinda stupid because isn't the whole car within my field of vision?)

in FL insurance is required to pay for replacement with no deductible...

I had a wicked chip (probably 2-3mm) and got it replaced... then got it tinted the next day. It looked great and was awesome for ~2 months until i got another chip (<1mm) right in front of me... so now my options are drive it and hope for the best or get it replaced and pay another $100 to re-tint the windshield...

Khobin~

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'07 GTI, '97 YZF600R
Personnally I'd say take it to a shop, unless you are confident about using a diy kit.

I took mine to Crystal glass when I got a chip, $30 and it was fixed. Glassmaster's also does a good job, and I think they have a mobile unit that will come around and do it where you are parked, but not 100% sure on that.

Rock chips are so hard to avoid here in Alberta I wouldn't worry about replacing the windshield unless it cracks, or until it reaches a point where there are lots of chips. :thumbsup:

You can get glass insurance, but it definately won't be worth the cost for simply repairing a chip. :wink:

twisted by dezign

Interiors win races
Car(s)
08 Stage 2+ GTI
Awesome, thanks Khobin :thumbsup: I will check out Deco because they repair for only $22.

I was swearing so much on the drive to Red Deer this morning, I think that truck threw about 5 rocks at my hood and windshield :frown:

Strmtrpr

Censored
I just got my first chip on this car last week. It is right behind my rear view mirror. :frown:

twisted by dezign

Interiors win races
Car(s)
08 Stage 2+ GTI
Did you get it from a big, stupid truck? :frown:

Strmtrpr

Censored
Did you get it from a big, stupid truck? :frown:

No there was only a van in front of me and I just heard a loud smack against my windshield :cry:

I think I am just gonna get it filled....I drive on the interstate alot everyday for work so its all a part of the game.

Not nearly as bad as my SRT4 that got hit...I saw that rock bounce off the road and smack my window right on the passenger side....5 inch wide spider crack instantly

twisted by dezign

Interiors win races
Car(s)
08 Stage 2+ GTI
Ouch, side window cracks are not fun.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
I hate trucks.

After a truck stupidly decided to merge into the fast lane to go 1 km faster than the car on the right, a huge rock flew at my windshield and chipped it. The chip is under an inch in diameter and there are no cracks.

Would it be recommended to get a DIY repair kit (which ones are good?) or to get it professionally repaired? How much could I expect a repair to be, roughly?

At the very least you should inquire about coverage from your insurance company. In Ohio, the insurance companies have a deductible for glass replacement, but they will waive deductible if you will first try a glass repair. They also told me that glass claims are not considered when re-rating the policy, so supposedly there is no future penalty to a glass claim.

I had a small surface chip from an errant stone, looked like nothing at all. Just ignored it. Then one very cold Janaury SE Michigan day (while visiting the Detroit auto show), the small chip quickly became a 3 foot crack across the windshield, from the passengers side to the drivers line of vision. Hence my January 2008 converserations with an insuracne company on this topic.

Alberta has got to be even more brutal winter :yikes: good test of the repair process I would think :wink:

rabbi7

slugish rabbit
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I paid 60$ to fix a chip the size of a dime. I did it at a place called "ziebart" auto shop... they called in some glass peoples, they did it on the spot, took around 5 mins to do. Mind you it looked like shit, I could see the filled in spot, and it started falling out after 3 months. The good thing is, it prevented the crack from spreading, so its an ok temporary fix.

regards.

Joe Dwarf

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 VW R32
One advantage of doing it at a shop is they offer a guarantee. Speedy will deduct the cost of the repair from a replacement windshield if the crack spreads after repairing.

Also bear in mind that the DIY kits require you have either a warm sunny day or access to a UV light - UV is what causes the patch to cure. It takes over an hour to cure. Around here we're rapidly running out of suitable days.