GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wierd happening with my Sirius radio today

billykeith

Passed Driver's Ed
This afternoon I switched my radio from an FM station to Sirius XM in the middle of my ride, and I got the message "Initializing" on the screen. I was getting the last station I had selected, but I couldn't turn the volume up or switch stations. FM/AM/Media all worked just fine. I turned the radio off, turned it back on, no luck. I then selected Media and everything worked OK. Tried Sirius again, still showed "initializing". We stopped at the grocery for about 45 minutes, went back to the car, started her up. I selected the satellite radio and voila, everything was fine!! Has anyone else experienced this before? If so, have any idea what was causing it? The only thing remotely I can think of that might cause an issue is that my wife had her cell phone with her and had her "bluetooth" on on her phone. I did not have mine with me but it's only set up to recognize mine.

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I think it's possible the car was trying to pair with your wife's phone. I find that the SAT Radio seems not to be 100% compatible with rest of the controls. My 3 months are up in the next day or so, and I won't really miss it.

billykeith

Passed Driver's Ed
I think it's possible the car was trying to pair with your wife's phone. I find that the SAT Radio seems not to be 100% compatible with rest of the controls. My 3 months are up in the next day or so, and I won't really miss it.

Thanks Fed, that's kind of what I was thinking. She always leaves her bluetooth on even when she's not in HER car. I can't convince her to shut it off when she's really not using it. It's like talking to myself. :rolleyes:

DoctorKB

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks Fed, that's kind of what I was thinking. She always leaves her bluetooth on even when she's not in HER car. I can't convince her to shut it off when she's really not using it. It's like talking to myself. :rolleyes:

There's no good reason to turn it off unless you're trying to conserve every drop of battery.

Bluetooth is used for many other things besides interfacing with a vehicle's A/V system. My phone is paired to a half dozen devices, including a thermometer, my Apple Watch, my home cordless phone system, a couple computers, etc.

It is *EXTREMELY* unlikely that the car's system was trying to pair with your wife's phone without having instigated the pairing. What's more likely is that the satellite radio was just having some issues confirming your account, or had been given instructions to reset something.

I wouldn't worry much about it unless it happens again / often.