GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Widest tire fitment (With coilovers)?

Perpetuus

Data Encryption
I recall that running 245/40/17 on our cars is possible with the stock suspension setup.

On my 18" wheels, what is the widest tire I could fit?

Today I became curious about this because of two things that would likely give me extra clearance to fit a wider tire:

1) I am running -2 degrees of front camber per wheel
2) My coilovers are much smaller in diameter than the stock dampers. (Uses 2.5" diameter Eibach Race Springs) Perhaps a wider fitment is possible because of the extra clearance of the strut?

I have a pair of Pilot Super Sports in 225s, but am not getting enough traction with my K04.

P.S.: I also have a pair of 17" wheels too, but 18" provides less sidewall flex for cornering.

Pudding

Passed Driver's Ed
I thought with the MK4 onwards, the spring perch is above the tyre, so you would need to go seriously inboard with the offset to get fouling problems?

You'll never get 245s to work with an 18. Even with the stock ET51 18" wheels with 225s, I get the occasional arch kiss if I corner really hard. It rubs on the arch liner screw/bracket. You might need aftermarket wide arch wings.

Have you used some trigonometry to figure how much wheel tip in you will get with 2-3 degrees of camber at the hub? Don't ask me as I'm crap at math.

I don't know how you're struggling for traction with a Wavetrac and Pilot Sport 4S.

My Edition 30 hooks up OK, even when I had a silly 400lbft map in it. I use the Pilot sport 4. Super Sports aren't great in cold or wet weather. Maybe that's your problem, along with a bit too much neg camber?

Maybe try the Pilot Sport 4 S which replaces it. Much better grip.