GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why is it so difficult to find the correct tire size for my car?

JonnyBigBoss

Passed Driver's Ed
I've spent more than an hour trying to determine which tire size to buy for my 2008 GTI with the upgraded wheels (not the stock Detroits). It's unbelievable to me that you can't find this information readily available. So, I come here for some help and am greeted by a huge table full of numbers. Do I have to take a ruler to my current wheels or something?

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
You need to know the diameter and width of your wheels to figure out the tire size you need, if you don't know them then yes you'll need to go measure them

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I've spent more than an hour trying to determine which tire size to buy for my 2008 GTI with the upgraded wheels (not the stock Detroits). It's unbelievable to me that you can't find this information readily available. So, I come here for some help and am greeted by a huge table full of numbers. Do I have to take a ruler to my current wheels or something?

Tire size is pretty easy but wheels come in different diameters, widths and off sets and if you car is lowered that may also play into what size tire you pick.

Originally posted by RedRabidRabbit in 2008

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
Your wheels are 18x7.5. Most people run 225 / 40 / 18. You can look on the tires you have now and see what size they are to confirm. Just look for 3 numbers like I typed.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Lol the tirerack.com will tell you all the stock sizes. I personally run 235/40R18.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
225/40-18 or 235/40-18 for OEM 18" wheels. 225 is the "stock" size.

FMX_DBC

Dirt Bike Craig
Car(s)
'06 Tornado Red GTI
im running 225/40/18 on 18x8.5