GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Whiteline Springs arrived...mounting them in about a week.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Yes, I ordered and received Whiteline MK5 GTI springs.
Cannot mount for a week...waiting on spring compressor.
The Front are (Linear) = 179 lb/in __&__ the Rear are (Progressive) = 230 lb/in.

Their site says drop is one inch. I only found one review, but it was for a MK6 GTI and MK6 springs. That person said the drop was much more than advertised. Advertised for the MK6 is 0.8" and they said drop was more like 1.5". So, not exactly sure what they drop will be for mine. Doesn't really matter because I just want it higher.

Once the springs are mounted...I will progress to figuring out if the H&R swaybars need readjusting. Then more corrections made with camber etc. to balance over and understeer for proper tracking.

I will post stuff as steps are taken and provide more later.
But yeah, excited to raise it back up a bit for three reasons;
1) More comfortable springs...to be paired with the Bilstein B8 dampers.
2) Higher stance for the end of scraping going in and out of lots.
3) Front (linear) springs with lower rate in front than the rear has. This may allow some softening of the rear swaybar and no need to reduce rear neg. camber.

Will no longer be this low__Front FTG = 23-3/4"__Rear FTG = 23-7/8";

Attachments

• 24325179868_e55386e22a_o.jpg
    24325179868_e55386e22a_o.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
What were you on previously to get below 24” ftg? I’m kind of in the same boat. Tired of the harsh ride being lowered, may be time to start climbing back up.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
H&R Super Sport Springs in front and H&R coil-over springs and adjusters in back. It's just too much of the "always thinking about the underside scraping." Plus, I recently discovered the core support is now cracked. Somewhat luckily, it is cracked between two holes and at a short distance between them. So it will hold for a bit and will be changed soon. The only way I can imagine it happened was a few months ago I remember pulling in to a spot to park. I missed seeing where one of those concrete tire stops was in the spot I pulled in to. So I was gauging off the one in the spot next to me. The front end rose and I backed up to see. And the concrete stop in my chosen spot was dislodged and farther away from the sidewalk than the one next to me.

But yeah, also tired of the harsh ride...so, gotta deal with that and then re-balance its tracking (over/under-steer).

The pic in the other post had a bit of lean...this one is on flat ground;

Attachments

• 13350491_10204724485271145_4006659623826611867_o.jpg
    13350491_10204724485271145_4006659623826611867_o.jpg
    683.3 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Got them mounted today...but, one of the axles has slipped out. It won't go forward or reverse. I was too tired to deal with it this evening, so I decided to wait for the morning. I haven't driven it yet...and right now it is at 25-1/4 inch in back...hadn't measured the front. I sat in it when just the rear springs were mounted....OMG. It felt like I was in an raked SUV. Weird how you can get used to low. Anyhow, hopefully it hasn't spun a CV joint boot. It rolled back a bit, two feet maybe, when I tried going for a drive. Then I just put it in neutral and pushed it back forward so I could close the garage door.

Last edited:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
OK...got the axle back in and all is well again. PITA though. Gave it a ten mile drive and it certainly rides comfortably. Didn't push it at all. Measured FTG when I got home. It is 25-1/4" at all four corners...weird because it felt like it had a bit of forward rake and looks it too. Still feels like sitting in an SUV. I suppose I will get used to it. I will soon do some more with it in the corners to see if I need to adjust the swaybars. I did go through a few corners on the first drive and it felt right. But again, I didn't really push it enough to see if understeer was present and needing to be addressed.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Today I added a sort of shim to one of the rear spring pads. Fr some reason it measures 1/4" higher on the right rear than the left. I had to adjust the rear spring perches with the last set for it to be even. After the H&R SS springs...I replaced the rear springs with H&R street performance springs and adjusters so I could even the stance in the back.

I added an old upper rear pad after trimming it a bit to fit flush when placed above the new pad. Haven't got a chance to drive it yet for re-measuring. The old pad measures 3/16" to 1/4". It may be too much given the spring is further inward. Adding nearly 1/4" where the spring is, is likely to raise it more where measured at the fender-to-ground point. I may end up removing it to replace with a thinner material. We'll see.

Last edited:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
It's all level now: both sides up front is 25-1/4" FTG and both sides at the rear is 25-3/8" FTG (FTG is fender-to-ground measurement). The rear springs have new upper and lower spring pads and the back left has an added upper pad...those new pads may drop it a bit in back over time.

Last edited:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
So far, under normal driving, I have noticed it is much more comfortable over those minor potholes and rough spots in pavement. I've noticed the linear front springs are a bit quicker responding to steering input. I haven't had the opportunity to test the spring rate and heavy cornering. I need the proper playground for testing its tracking; The rear spring rate being higher than the front and me having softened the rear swaybar/ARB forces me to re-check its tracking. I tried in one corner to push it through the corner. It held its track until it broke front inside traction. It kicked the rear outward. I'll need to try to moderate it and it was a bit cold and damp. So I will likely wait until it warms up before resuming to test its tracking.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I wanted to add this for DIY'ers:
strut mount alignment1.png