GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Whining/Grinding Noise When Going 80km/h+

RomanMKV

Car(s)
VW Golf MKV Sport
Hey guys.

Recently my MK5 Golf started making strange whining/grinding noise when I'm doing 80km/h and gets really loud when I'm doing higher than that. Can't even hear the engine anymore!
It doesn't make that noise when I'm driving slower than 80.
The car goes fine when entering corners. No noise from anywhere. So I don't think it's the problem with the suspension.
The noise itself is constant after 80.
The rims are 18" and tyres on them were replaced quite some time ago and still are in good condition.
I can feel the slight vibration in the pedals when doing high speeds.

Has anyone come across a problem like this on their cars?

kingkhan

Ready to race!
It sounds like a bad wheel bearing. You can figure out what side it is coming from by loading up each side. If the noise comes back when turning left, then the bad bearing is on the right side of the car. if the sound comes back when turning right, then it is on the left side of the car.

In my experience I also got an ABS/traction control lights when my rear wheel bearings went bad.

RomanMKV

Car(s)
VW Golf MKV Sport
It sounds like a bad wheel bearing. You can figure out what side it is coming from by loading up each side. If the noise comes back when turning left, then the bad bearing is on the right side of the car. if the sound comes back when turning right, then it is on the left side of the car.

In my experience I also got an ABS/traction control lights when my rear wheel bearings went bad.
I don't think it's the wheel bearings because the noise is constant and it only appears when I'm driving over 80km/h

RomanMKV

Car(s)
VW Golf MKV Sport
Can be a bad brake bad also, did you try to brake (lightly) when it happens?
I recently got new brake pads fitted and the noise is still there.
I'm thinking that there's an issue with either the gearbox or the wheel differential but not 100% sure.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Can be an axle as well, the inner joint most likely when going straight. Do the noise change if you accelerate vs coast? Did you try to put the gearbox in neutral when the noise is there?

RomanMKV

Car(s)
VW Golf MKV Sport
Can be an axle as well, the inner joint most likely when going straight. Do the noise change if you accelerate vs coast? Did you try to put the gearbox in neutral when the noise is there?
I did try that, yes. The noise still appears.
Also tried accelerating up to 80 in 2nd and 3rd gears. The noise only appears after 70/80 km/h. Maybe it's too subtle below that so I don't hear it? Not sure...

vwengineer

Ready to race!
If it gets louder, the higher the speed, as you say, it still points to a wheel bearing or brakes.

I never heard of diferencial failures on these cars and the axles usually do not make a constant flat noise to my understanding, its more a clunk when you accelerate or brake.

Mine was whistling really loud past 100km/h, it turned out to be the rear brake pad (which had at least 50% left). I don't understand why but I replaced it and the noise is gone. I still have some kind of wooble noise on the front between 30-50 km/h and I think it has something to do with the front brakes (vibrations in the brake pedal at speed).

RomanMKV

Car(s)
VW Golf MKV Sport
If it gets louder, the higher the speed, as you say, it still points to a wheel bearing or brakes.

I never heard of diferencial failures on these cars and the axles usually do not make a constant flat noise to my understanding, its more a clunk when you accelerate or brake.

Mine was whistling really loud past 100km/h, it turned out to be the rear brake pad (which had at least 50% left). I don't understand why but I replaced it and the noise is gone. I still have some kind of wooble noise on the front between 30-50 km/h and I think it has something to do with the front brakes (vibrations in the brake pedal at speed).
Alright, thanks, I'll check the wheel bearings then.

goonzie

Car(s)
VW GTI MK7
So I checked the wheel bearings and they seemed to be fine.
Any update on this issue you're having?
I've had the exact same problem with my MK7. Got my tires changed, had them all checked and balanced.

Slight vibration around 80 km/h. Most noticeable and resonates faster as I reach 90-110 km/h. Doesn't necessarily get louder, just a faster vibration, if that makes sense.
I feel it in the foot pedal mostly but I can also hear it.