GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which cellphone sucks less?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I don’t wanna spark a full blown debate here, but I’m really torn on what to do with my current iPhone 6s. The battery life is basically non existent, and updates usually screw it up beyond recognition for as long as a week, and this is what I use for literally everything...I don’t use any other device (iPad, computer, ect) anything so this is my do all.

I’ve been using apple products for about 7-8 years now and like the simplicity, but I’m also a fan of not buying another $700-$1000 phone just to have it be next to useless in two years. So here’s my options unless you guys steer me another way:

A: replace the battery for $80, keep the 6s

B: replace the phone, get a newer Apple product

C: jump ship and get a Samsung & obd11 because it’s not insanely overpriced like VCDS

Swoope

Ready to race!
I don’t wanna spark a full blown debate here, but I’m really torn on what to do with my current iPhone 6s. The battery life is basically non existent, and updates usually screw it up beyond recognition for as long as a week, and this is what I use for literally everything...I don’t use any other device (iPad, computer, ect) anything so this is my do all.

I’ve been using apple products for about 7-8 years now and like the simplicity, but I’m also a fan of not buying another $700-$1000 phone just to have it be next to useless in two years. So here’s my options unless you guys steer me another way:

A: replace the battery for $80, keep the 6s

B: replace the phone, get a newer Apple product

C: jump ship and get a Samsung & obd11 because it’s not insanely overpriced like VCDS

i would go with C:

but it does not have to be a samsung any good midrange or above will do.

if you have seen any of my track video it was done with my samsung s8 phone. :) it is 2.5 years old and has not missed a beat.

beers

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Try the OnePlus 6t. Only t-mobile carries it right now, but it's pretty high end technology for upper mid range price. $580. Only thing it's missing which is weird is wireless charging. But it has 128gb memory, 8gb of ram, beautiful Amoled display. Essentially an android XS Max for half the price or Note 9 for 3/5 the price.

Other great option at $350 is the LG Q7. This is definitely a mid tier phone but it will blow your iPhone 6 out of the water.

If you're dead set on iPhone, wait for one of the trade in deals where you can get discount or free iPhone 8/xr with trade in.

Back to android..
If you need a tv, T-Mobile starting Friday is doing free 50" Samsung tv when you add 2 lines and buy a Samsung s9 or note 9.

Final option is just by used. You can find a ton of iPhone 8 and even X flooding the market. Just make sure get the imei and carrier and go to that carrier and they can usually tell you if it's been reported stolen and if it's paid off (if it's not and customer defaults, it will be locked). Not 100% guarantee that it won't be reported stolen later and you're screwed, but better than nothing.

Anyway, good luck.

Yoliber

Ready to race!
I usually an android fanboy but I jumped ship to iPhone last month because android auto annoys me. It has good voice command but you have to do EVERYTHING through voice command. It's hard and annoying to use it (with an accent).

Also when I put my address in gmaps on my phone then go in my car and connect it, android auto doesn't automatically navigate me there. Furthermore, once in a while android auto is just unusable for me.

I switched to iPhone solely for carplay and airpods. I'd suggest A or C and a dirt cheap android device for OBD11.

I'm running an 8 now and its great.

edrex

Ready to race!
Battery replacement should only be $29 through the end of the year at any Apple store. I used my iPhone 6 for 4 years with very few issues aside from battery wearing out and I had it replaced early this year. Now I have the new XS and my 6 with a good battery as my backup.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Option A

I'm at close to 3 years with my 6S and don't have any issues. I always wait for the first or second revision of a new iOS before upgrading.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Option A if you want to save money now.

Option C if you want to save money in the long run.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I'm a big Android fan, but with 2 major caveats. The first is that the best part about Android is the Google suite integration. If you're not intending to use Gmail, gmaps, assistant, Google calendar, etc., you're missing a big part of the value. The second is that I'm not a big Samsung fan. They may have fixed it by now, but I jumped ship a few years back because the Samsung native apps were fighting the Google apps and caused issues with everything from calendar sync to AA use unless you used only the Samsung apps.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Option C or even an LG G7 (Samsung 9 look a like). Biggest thing for you would be if you want to switch OS.....platform might look/feel different, but the OS will drive you.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Lots of good info, thanks guys! I should’ve mentioned I’m with Verizon and basically need to stay with them being off the beaten path a bit more than most the coverage is second to none in my experience.

With all of thee above considered I have some restored faith in the old 6s. I’ll probably give the new battery a try and worst case it’ll be in better condition to keep as a spare

It might take a few days, the Apple store is over an hour away, but I’ll post back with the results

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
i too have a 6s that is a turd pile... the charger port is bad and only works with the cable at a specific angle... battery lasts less than half the day if not on low power mode... consistently getting the "battery couldnt do it so we made the phone dumber" message...

id rather not drop $400-500 on a new iphone so i think im going to try to replace the battery and replace the connector myself. I can deal with it being a few seconds slower and saving the $500...

Also, i believe apple is still offering the $30 battery replacement goodwill gesture...

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
i too have a 6s that is a turd pile... the charger port is bad and only works with the cable at a specific angle... battery lasts less than half the day if not on low power mode... consistently getting the "battery couldnt do it so we made the phone dumber" message...

id rather not drop $400-500 on a new iphone so i think im going to try to replace the battery and replace the connector myself. I can deal with it being a few seconds slower and saving the $500...

Also, i believe apple is still offering the $30 battery replacement goodwill gesture...

Have you cleaned the lint out of the port? Toothpicks are great for this.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Either A or C. iPhones were great on the 4th-6th gens, every other gen is worthless IMO. I love Samsung products but am in no way a Samsung fanboy. I think they last longer and I don't like Apple's business model of "Be behind on technology and then act like we invented it when the Samsung equivalent of our feature was released 4 years ago, now pay twice as much for it" Also Apple has been in some trouble for throttling their older devices to prevent hardware issues. I get it, but I would rather have the option to throttle vs leave it unthrottled and risk the hardware damage on my own accord. Most of the reason I like Samsung/Android is the ability to make (most) of my own decisions.