GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Where my fatties at (wheels)?

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I don't expect much feedback here, but I'm in the market for wide Motorsport wheels (10+) with a 5x112 bolt pattern that are fairly light (relatively) with minimal wheel spacer requirements. Do I have any options? Has anyone gone in this direction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
You planning on running those ECS fender flares or what?

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
If they offer a poly version I'll consider it, but carbon fiber is silly for a car that sees the track, but it's mad scene points yo. I'll probably go with a universal fender flare solution, I'm a go'er not a show'er

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Paint them, dunno if the fifteen52 ones will allow you to fit a 10" wide wheel.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
No offense, but you're missing the point. First off carbon fiber is prone to shattering and is a significant cost driver, it's for reducing weight while maintaining rigidity which for a flare is pointless. They run $800 while a universal solution is less than $200. Either way if you are running flares it's to cover bodywork from cutting the fenders to fit larger tires / wheels, unless it's just to look Motorsport, which is also silly.

Anyways anyone know of wheel options?

DerekH

Ready to race!
I run RPF1s that I've had drilled out with wobble bolts. they are only 9 inch but you can get 10+ no problem for pretty cheap too. If i had the money id go with CCWs but I'm poor so i had to go with a cheaper option. My final build plans include wide body and running wider wheels but that will be a while off still.

TheThreeFitty

The Anti-stance
Car(s)
MKV GTI, 987 Cayman
I went the cheap JNC. 17x10 set up with all road flares.

Haven't had them out jumping some curbs yet so We will see how they hold up. They arnt the lightest but they also are not multiple thousands of dollars.

As said above custom CCW is probably a best bet if you want a high quality light wheel.

The thought head also crossed my mind to have the hubs redrilled to a 5x114.3 to open up wheel options.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Yeah, my mechanic recommended the CCW route, but the cost burns so much. What are the downsides of redrilling the hubs? It seems like it would be best to get a 5x114.3 hub installed rather than hack and slash, but I'm ignorant in that department.

rcngmtry

Middle of the pack
Yeah, my mechanic recommended the CCW route, but the cost burns so much. What are the downsides of redrilling the hubs? It seems like it would be best to get a 5x114.3 hub installed rather than hack and slash, but I'm ignorant in that department.

I just had 17x9 5x114 RPF1s redrilled to 5x112 by a machine shop with steel inserts. Looks to be like a very good and safe solution. They basically open up the hole a little and press in steel inserts. There are so many wheels available in 5x114 bolt pattern, you won't find anything light or priced decently in 5x112 in that size.
Just my recommendation.

upload images

free jpeg images

Last edited:

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I like that route, did they express any concerns or precautions with doing that to the wheel?

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I like those enkeis. Have you thought about adapters? Might be stronger than redrilled wheels but I don't really know.

rcngmtry

Middle of the pack
I like that route, did they express any concerns or precautions with doing that to the wheel?

No, they were very confident about this and said the integrity of the wheel is not compromised in any way. I also made sure I stressed that this is for autox and track use. I don't know if can see in the pictures, but they did an awesome job and the steel insert is really a part of the wheel now. They had a machine that is specifically designed to do this.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I like those enkeis. Have you thought about adapters? Might be stronger than redrilled wheels but I don't really know.

I'm really trying to avoid adapters, spacers, and the like if possible, just to reduce the points of failure, but if those are necessary than I might go that route. I'd much rather cut into body panels, wheel arches, etc.