GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel spacers, need the hub-centric?

Red-2009-GTI

Ready to race!
I recently installed the Brembo brake kit on the front of my Mk5. Brakes are NICE and went on straightforward, no problems.

I had 18x8" Miro LM Replica wheels and they have a modest dish that I like the looks of but these wheels do not clear the new calipers. I had to put my 17" Enkie GTC-01 wheels back on as they clear by a good margin.

I used some flat washers to space the Miros out just to determine what thickness spacer I would need and it looks like 6mm is close and 8mm would be a safe clearance. I did not drive the car with the washers in place, just spun the wheel and saw there was good clearance.

So I looked around online at wheel spacers and 8mm is readily available. I have not been able to actually look at these but it seem like these thinner ones do not have the part that projects out into the wheel (the hub-centric deal), and only the thicker spacers have this feature. I was reading about the H&R Spacers at $60 a pair plus shipping.

Do spacers (8mm Spacers specifically) need to have this pushed out feature? Or should they have this feature? If they can be flat like a big washer with five holes for the wheel bolts I could fab these up myself as I have a mill and a rotary table, and I would build 4 of them (space out the rear wheels as well), and pocket the $135 (but invest probably 4 hours).

PCDT99

Banned
Car(s)
2006 BMP GTI
You dont "Need" the hubcentric feature but it just makes it nicer to get them on and off and for everything to center up straight. Technically you could make your own but i wouldnt suggest doing so, just for safety reasons.

Red-2009-GTI

Ready to race!
If the spacer is flat and I use 6061 Aluminum and have it annodized how could it be unsafe? Not ridiculing, I just don't see how it could be less safe that having some Chineese guy build them in a dimly lit alley for $8 in the Far East and some other guys in the US putting them in 25 cent bag to sell them to me for $40 a pair? If they have the hub projection then it is a bit of talent to make a good set. If I could just talk to someone with a set of the H&R spacers ON THEIR SHELF I could find out if the small spacers do indeed have the hub-centric projection on the wheel side and recess on the hub side.