GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel Bearing - Warranty Cover It?

JoeAddy89

Car(s)
VW Golf 1.6 GT 19reg
I have a 19 reg Mk7 VW Golf GT TDI 1.6, i think the front wheel bearing has gone and will need replacing. With it being less than 3 years old will VW replace this under warranty? Want to know what the crack is before i call them up.....i know what dealers are like! Anyone had a similar experience?

Cheers

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
Since you have a 2019, you should have the People First warranty that was essentially a 6 year/72k mile bumper to bumper warranty. That said, even with a bumper to bumper warranty, a wheel bearing is generally considered a wear item.

I think you'd have a better shot if the car had very low miles to the point that a faulty wheel bearing may be considered a faulty part that broke, but I'd be surprised if you got the wheel bearing replaced under any warranty at 43k miles. That'd be awesome if you did though!

Edit: My bad, didn't see that you aren't in the US (the TDI should've been a big hint but I glossed over that and your location, hah). That said, my general point still stands: I'm not optimistic you'll get the wheel bearing replaced under warranty. I assume the 60k warranty is a powertrain warranty at that point and wheel bearings aren't usually considered a powertrain item anyway. Though that could be different in other countries. I'm basing my thinking here mostly on my understanding of warranties in the US.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I have a 19 reg Mk7 VW Golf GT TDI 1.6, i think the front wheel bearing has gone and will need replacing. With it being less than 3 years old will VW replace this under warranty? Want to know what the crack is before i call them up.....i know what dealers are like! Anyone had a similar experience?

Cheers
I’m in the UK and I’d say that if you do have a defective wheel bearing then it ought to be covered under warranty. I’ve not had a replacement wheel bearing under warranty but I have had shock absorbers replaced within the warranty period without issue and at no cost to me.

Be aware that some dealers charge a diagnosis / investigation fee and I think that fee is around £60. However, if the dealer confirms that the fault is covered under warranty, then the diagnosis / investigation fee is refunded.

AZFJ

Car(s)
2019 GTI SE
Dealer covered the wheel bearing under warranty on my 2017 Passat with 32,000 miles

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
Just did a bit more googling around - I stand corrected, at least tentatively. Many reports of people getting wheel bearings covered under warranty. It may partially depend on how much your dealer tries to blame it on driving style or road conditions, but seems like your odds are decent. Can't hurt to try. Hope it gets covered for you!

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Had a wheel bearings covered under a CPO warranty several years back. $50 deductible was all I had to pay.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Joe,

if your car is still under full wtty yes, if it's just powertrain wtty maybe. Talk nice to dealer, if your sales person still works there talk to them.

Mud

JoeAddy89

Car(s)
VW Golf 1.6 GT 19reg
Going to give them a call on Monday and see what they have to say. Just got the “Front Assist Unavailable” message on the dash now. 😩🔫

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Going to give them a call on Monday and see what they have to say. Just got the “Front Assist Unavailable” message on the dash now. 😩🔫
Doesn't seem like the two are related. Been a long time since I had a wheel bearing replaced in the States but it was covered. That was back about 2003. Very expensive to replace then, something like 6-700 USD.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
and hint under power train if needed. If they say it ain't power train ask "lf they only wanted to cover transmission and engine why didn't they just say that?"