GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What's The Future Hold For Gaming?

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
I've been talking about this with friends for a little while now, and decided to start a thread on it after writing my review in the World At War thread. Mind you I haven't read any game info mags in a while, so I don't know anything for sure. My mind was simply pondering the thought.

What I mean by the title is this: The way I see it is Microsoft and Sony will both be forced to pretty much make their next XBOX and Playstations much more player involved next time around. I believe that they will follow suit and produce a gaming experience that one up's the Nintendo Wii (I.E. a more ergonomic controller, etc). Then again, I think the Wii will one up itself with better graphics next time, and a more ergonomic controller as well. Seems they'll also learn better ways to make the player more involved.

Guess what I'm saying is that I can't imagine the Xbox or Playstation coming out with a traditional controller after their current console is obsolete. I think they'll probably have to update the gaming experience to resemble that of a Wii (only better). Graphics, colors, and sounds will only get you so far.

Disclaimer: I'd say around 90% of the games I play are still on the Xbox. But the ones I do enjoy on the Wii bring me hope that it will only get better from here. Thoughts?

Si Killer

RIP BOVICE
i really hope gaming doesn't go into the wii fad. what i do hope happens is that sony gets more 3rd party support and kicks microsofts ass. next generation i'm going back to sony. at least their products don't constantly crap out on you. it's a shame that sony has awesome hardware, but is lackin on software. you can only play mgs4 so many times.

Remus6

ViVa La Fuga!WLF
3-D/VR games! I don't know, I'd LOVE to see some holographic stuff. Sounds sci-fi, I know, but that's the future of gaming as I see it. I saw this show on the Discovery Channel called Prototype This, and they were fussing around with some virtual reality stuff. I was stoked (being the nerd that I am), that the possibility of that being the future could be realized some time in the future.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

GyroJoe

Turbo is my middle name
It's possible to have both experiences with one piece of hardware. The difference is in the software.

I think there is a big enough market and enough franchises in place for traditional games to be around for a long while. You can only make so many Wii Sports games.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
The next gaming systems could very well offer both styles of controller game play with one unit. As with the Wii, you can already buy a traditional control and play that way if you feel. Perhaps the others will keep their conventional controllers and give you the option to play either way.:iono:

Either way, I think something's going to give...and that gameplay will change with the other systems. Just don't quote me on it.

chonface

does not have pink eye
ive been playing a game called mirrors edge....its not in the future as already out but to throw in some vr glasses or something and this game would be even better...its so immersive i can only imagine what a future game like that would be

saucer

Leadfoot
Car(s)
08 GTI
I think we're gonna see more variety. The market has grown exponentially over the past decade - with a much wider range of people playing.

With more and more people getting into games every day - and the older gaming generation still going strong - there will be more markets to corner. Just as we no longer have one type of automobile (SUV, compact, pick up truck, sports car, etc) I think the current consoles will start to find their own niche and we may have even more on the way.

SRTthis

NJ 2 FL
Car(s)
2010 370Z
i love my wii because its another level of gamer involvment. graphics can only get so much better. but eventually there will be a limit. actually id like to see car navi units get a little better detailed lol. google earth kinda shit

DeathB4Dishonr

Lasers go Pew Pew
Car(s)
2k6 BMP GTI
ive contemplated on an idea similar to this for many years. ever since i got real into counter-strike i wanted to play with a sort of suit that where ever you were shot it would maybe shock you or somehow render that limb disabled until the next round. you know, for a more realistic game experience with out the actual getting shot part. of course if you were wearing an advancedsuit like that i would expect there to be some awesome VR helmet or glasses you would be wearing along with a realistic like gun to hold.

just a thought ive had for a long long time. i would play the hell out of a game like that

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
I hope it doesn't change too much to be honest, the 360 controller is great and while Wii is fun for parties and what not, I wouldn't want to play like that every day. The Wii is in it's own little niche and I think Microsoft and Sony are both doing pretty well and should probably just leave it alone.

saucer

Leadfoot
Car(s)
08 GTI
ive contemplated on an idea similar to this for many years. ever since i got real into counter-strike i wanted to play with a sort of suit that where ever you were shot it would maybe shock you or somehow render that limb disabled until the next round. you know, for a more realistic game experience with out the actual getting shot part. of course if you were wearing an advancedsuit like that i would expect there to be some awesome VR helmet or glasses you would be wearing along with a realistic like gun to hold.

just a thought ive had for a long long time. i would play the hell out of a game like that

These guys are working on it

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
I hope it doesn't change too much to be honest, the 360 controller is great and while Wii is fun for parties and what not, I wouldn't want to play like that every day. The Wii is in it's own little niche and I think Microsoft and Sony are both doing pretty well and should probably just leave it alone.

Now are you saying all that because you're one of those people that don't like change and don't want to be forced to change the way you play? Or is it because you think the traditional controller is really just about as good as it gets? Please don't take this as me being condescending. I'm just curious because pretty much everything you said is the exact opposite of how I feel.

FWIW, I really don't prefer the "party games" on the Wii, or using the controls for those games. But as I stated before, I do enjoy playing World at War on it and using the control with the Wii Zapper gun. All the playing with a gun got me to thinking of what the future may hold and the possibilities. Seems they can do much better with it and that there's a lot of room for improvement still. Where as like a couple of us have said, the graphics, sound, and controls of our current systems can only go so far.

i love my wii because its another level of gamer involvment. graphics can only get so much better. but eventually there will be a limit.

Exactly. Where as there's tons of room for improvement in gamer involvement.

saucer

Leadfoot
Car(s)
08 GTI
I enjoy both. I like the Wii for party gaming & half-assed fun, but when I wanna truly chill out and play "competitively," I want thumbsticks and buttons and that's it.

PC gamers will make the same argument. I used to swear by the keyboard and mouse, but I've adapted to the controller. I still don't know which one is truly more precise, but the wiimotes are still much too clumsy imo.

Khobin~

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'07 GTI, '97 YZF600R
Personnally I like the old school controllers, yes more ergonomic would be great, like how the Cube controller was, but I get bored/annoyed with having to wave around the wii remotes... and sometimes it seems pretty crappy about sensing where the controller is, or how you actually moved it. I mean yeah it's fun sometimes, but is not a system I could sit and play everyday.

But the problem with the standard controller is in the end it's just button mashing... :thumbdown:

Honestly my favorite video game experiences have been on PC. The functionality of the keyboard and mouse runs circles around any controller, sooo, although highly unlikely, I'd like to a see a resurgence in PC gaming over that fo consoles. But due to money that won't happen...

Afterall, why make games for a PC when you have someone buy your console, then buy all the shitty little accesories, and the chances of pirating games is a lot smaller? :cry:

VR would be cool... the wii is somewhat of a step in that direction, but they hit the nail on the head by keeping it simple enough that any kid can pick it and have a ball with it. :thumbsup:

As for the future, well I could see Microsoft trying to go after that market bit bit doing what Sony did with the PS3 (the 6axis controller, which personnally I always turn off the setting to use and ues as a regular controller), and Sony should work on tweaking the formula they've been using since the first PS. :thumbsup: