GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What sort of TPMS does the GTI have...

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Alright, had a quick lookabout to see if I could figure this out... and ETKA is less than helpful so at this point any help would be appreciated.
What sort of TPMS does the GTI have? Is it the ABS sensor type or is it the actual valve-in-the-tyre type? I have heard both, which is puzzling :iono:
Anyone know?

azmcs

2007 and beyond are active TPMS using the sensors. European models use the ABS system and have a reset switch on the dash.

This second system is the one that can be retro-fitted to 2006 3 doors using Hillside Imports system. I don't think it has reached production yet as it involves significant wiring and VAGCOM work.

Looks for a set of sensors? $250 from OEMPL.US

Last edited:

Gtiguy182

Clean MKV Owner
nice ass azmcs

918hare

Go Kart Champion
2007 and beyond are active TPMS using the sensors. European models use the ABS system and have a reset switch on the dash.

This second system is the one that can be retro-fitted to 2006 3 doors using Hillside Imports system. I don't think it has reached production yet as it involves significant wiring and VAGCOM work.

Looks for a set of sensors? $250 from OEMPL.US

Joel, I just finished this mod, the wiring is not that bad just takes some time. I just need to go back and clean it up under the hood, though I don't really think most people would notice the wire.

azmcs

Joel, I just finished this mod, the wiring is not that bad just takes some time. I just need to go back and clean it up under the hood, though I don't really think most people would notice the wire.

So they do have a production version out now? I haven't been on the 'Tex Mk5 forum enough lately to know.

eddiec312

Passed Driver's Ed
Alright, had a quick lookabout to see if I could figure this out... and ETKA is less than helpful so at this point any help would be appreciated.
What sort of TPMS does the GTI have? Is it the ABS sensor type or is it the actual valve-in-the-tyre type? I have heard both, which is puzzling :iono:
Anyone know?

I have a 2007 which I bought first week of August and it has valve-in-the-tyre type according to my dealer.

I replaced my oem 17" with new 18" AT Italia S6 replicas and the TPMS sensor in my dashboard light is on all the time now. My dealer said it's because the new tires don't have the sensor and I have to remove the ones in my oem tires and put them on my new tires but I said no thanks because of the cost.

azmcs

I have a 2007 which I bought first week of August and it has valve-in-the-tyre type according to my dealer.

I replaced my oem 17" with new 18" AT Italia S6 replicas and the TPMS sensor in my dashboard light is on all the time now. My dealer said it's because the new tires don't have the sensor and I have to remove the ones in my oem tires and put them on my new tires but I said no thanks because of the cost.

You can VAGCOM the TPMS system off. Worked on mine perfectly. Just find someone in Miami with the CAN enabled cable and they can fix it for you. Dealers won't do it for liability reasons, and they want to make coin on selling nad installing the sensors which involves rebalancing and remounting the tires. Typical stealership practices.

phokim

Passed Driver's Ed
I had in-tire TPMS in my Mazda3s and usually it can be put right into any new wheel/tire combo; at least that was what some of the guys over there were doing. Of course some wheels cannot accomodate it and you need to tell the tire installer or they can thrash the sensors. It's nice to have.