GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is your occupation?

Dan00Hawk

Go Kart Newbie
I work as a buyer for Carmax. I inspect and test drive vehicles and appraise them at our dealership and buy them at auctions. Pretty fun job for an automotive enthusiast like myself.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Well, I didn't just wake up and decide it, but a bit less than a year ago I left a college VP position to become a pastor. I do miss the old salary sometimes, but it really is where I belong and fulfills a calling going back to high school. So it can be done, but it takes strong motivation and/or a clear sense of calling.

A wife who's 100% on the same page and fully supported the big change for our family is also pretty essential!

Sent from my phone

That's great! Same for my pastor...left being a mid-Atlantic Microsoft Senior Account Exec to full time Pastor (was bi-vocational before that) back in 2012. Family behind you is an absolute must!

My wife said if I wanted to start turning wrenches for a living instead, she'd back me, so there IS that.....lol

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I work as a buyer for Carmax. I inspect and test drive vehicles and appraise them at our dealership and buy them at auctions. Pretty fun job for an automotive enthusiast like myself.

My dad is a salesman for carmax and every day has nothing but complaints about how much of a slave ship shithole that company is. Trying to sell cars to idiots with 500 credit scores and 15K of negative equity in their current car day in and day out and never making sales bc they’re all impossible to work with, and dealing with the scummy, slave-driving management who “writes you up” for any “observation” of an infraction.

My neighbors a buyer too and he enjoys it lol. Got a 2004 Z3 w/ 60K miles on it for $3K last month. That’s awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan00Hawk

Go Kart Newbie
My dad is a salesman for carmax and every day has nothing but complaints about how much of a slave ship shithole that company is. Trying to sell cars to idiots with 500 credit scores and 15K of negative equity in their current car day in and day out and never making sales bc they’re all impossible to work with, and dealing with the scummy, slave-driving management who “writes you up” for any “observation” of an infraction.

My neighbors a buyer too and he enjoys it lol. Got a 2004 Z3 w/ 60K miles on it for $3K last month. That’s awesome.

I did sales for them for 1 year before I was able to get into the buyer position. There are certainly pros and cons to being a car salesman. You can't control the financial situation or intelligence of the customer that comes in the door. But sales people can control the process and pace for helping customers buy a car (or sell one to Carmax). There are sales people that are routinely successful, and those that routinely struggle and complain. I've seen them all. I wouldn't describe the situation as dire as your dad, as management does offer positive and constructive feedback on a regular basis. Sounds like your dad is burned out on the experience and is a bit negative on the whole thing. Might he be better off in a different position or company? Like they say, you can't control all the circumstances about your job, but you can control your attitude. :)

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

And here I am struggling to find a beater truck under 10k.. Send me his contact info haha :p

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I did sales for them for 1 year before I was able to get into the buyer position. There are certainly pros and cons to being a car salesman. You can't control the financial situation or intelligence of the customer that comes in the door. But sales people can control the process and pace for helping customers buy a car (or sell one to Carmax). There are sales people that are routinely successful, and those that routinely struggle and complain. I've seen them all. I wouldn't describe the situation as dire as your dad, as management does offer positive and constructive feedback on a regular basis. Sounds like your dad is burned out on the experience and is a bit negative on the whole thing. Might he be better off in a different position or company? Like they say, you can't control all the circumstances about your job, but you can control your attitude. :)

Lol he's just old and angry. he worked his way up and was a director of sales/channel marketing for a telecom firm and was at that company for over 20 years and made a very good living and got laid off when the company got bought by another company last year. he doesn't have a degree and he's 60 and he can't get any jobs now so he's pissed he often works 12 hour days and comes home having made less than $100. it's really just the shittiness of the world we live in that he's angry at, but it's a pretty big kick in the face when you've achieved the level of success that he has and it gets pulled out from underneath you and then you're stuck working one of the shittiest types of jobs working with the shittiest kinds of people making next to no money for it.

Dan00Hawk

Go Kart Newbie
^ Yeah, I've seen that happen to a number of older folks that aren't quite ready for retirement but don't have many job options. At least he has health care coverage and a steady job. The sales job is hearing no 90% of the time and being able to keep a positive attitude in moving forward to that next customer. Having a negative and bitter attitude will poison oneself subconsciously. It can be a vicious cycle for those that can't overcome it.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
^ Yeah, I've seen that happen to a number of older folks that aren't quite ready for retirement but don't have many job options. At least he has health care coverage and a steady job. The sales job is hearing no 90% of the time and being able to keep a positive attitude in moving forward to that next customer. Having a negative and bitter attitude will poison oneself subconsciously. It can be a vicious cycle for those that can't overcome it.

Lol yeah I can tell that you have a much better attitude for it than my father lol. Good for you man

Lefay

I'm currently working at college as a tutor. If I have free time and need some extra money, I write custom papers and different content for online academic sources

Last edited:

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I'm currently working at college as a tutor. If I have free time and need some extra money, I write custom papers and different content for online academic sources

You should go on r/domyhomework and make a pretty penny doing people's work for them ;)

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Active duty U.S. Air Force, Master Sergeant/E-7 in Space Operations. I've also worked on aircraft weapons systems (B-52, F-16, F-15, few other randoms).

I 'retire' about this time next spring so who knows what I'll be doing then when I have to grow up. :p

Ever work at NORAD near Ft. Carson area?

Last edited: