GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is the uses of boost gauge?

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
To monitor the output Boost level of the turbo. Especially once modded... it helps to trouble shoot if there are any problems related to Boost.

baubaulu

Ready to race!
aceclimber722 said:
1 bar is equal to 14.5 psi or 100,000 pa. It is just the measure of pressurized air coming from the turbo.
What is the Max bar in the original GTI? Is the boosst gaurge equal to the warning gaurge? If the car keep the turbo on all the time, what will happen? Will i demage the engine?

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Pretty hard to keep the turbo on all the time. I use my boost gauge to make sure I don't get into the boost until the car is warmed up. The GTI will spike at about 13-14 PSI/ almost 1 bar on a stock car. But normal boost is at 10/11 PSI. When the car is idle or you are just cruising you will not be in boost.

sublyme

Touring Car Champion
Until a certain amount of revs the car will be in vaccuum (the negative numbers) before it makes positive boost pressure, as max torque starts at 1800rpm then I assume the turbo starts to spool around then or just before so you will be on boost until you let go of the accelerator. Once you let go and you're cruising the car won't be producing any boost until you accelerate again, and that depends on how much you accelerate and how many rpm you are doing. So in essence you won't be constantly on boost, and you won't damage the turbo unless the car has been tuned to run more boost than the turbo can handle. Not sure what the efficiency range of our standard turbos are though.

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
the gauge is very necessary when it comes to fine tuning the car as well. you can also know when u are spiking in boost, but i think www.overboost.com has made a boost valve to control the turbo from spiking.

alf