GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Guess we have different opinions of what sounds great. I can't imagine how unbearably droney, boomy and obnoxious this shit would be with an aftermarket dp.
I had Jake’s mid and a borla xs. When I added the Catless Trackslag, my exhaust definitely toned down a bit from what it was before with the 3” JB DP. Much less vibration in car too.

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Yup! Torqued to spec. I'm pretty certain it's a piece of trim or a latch somewhere, but I'm not aware of any super common rattle point in the hatch.
Not sure what your rattle sounds like, but I had a rattle caused by the mechanism that opens the backup camera. It has 3, I think, bolts that hold it to the sheet metal of the back hatch. They had loosened up and we're causing a metalic clanking over bumps, etc. You'll have to take apart your hatch to get to it.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
had someone say "nice car" at the gas station. It's rare to hear that with the GTI (stock)

I never once had a random stranger in public say "nice car" to me in any of my GTIs. Even if it was as clean as possible and I was aired out in a parking lot looking fresh :cool:. The only close interaction was once another GTI parked next to me, stock height, but with engine mods. He didn't compliment my car but instead turned it into a pissing contest and started bragging about how his was faster than mine and how my air ride probably rode like shit. Like okay dude, cool.

Now that I have a GLI, I did actually have a random guy come up to me last week and say "wow that's a really nice car man."

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I never once had a random stranger in public say "nice car" to me in any of my GTIs. Even if it was as clean as possible and I was aired out in a parking lot looking fresh :cool:. The only close interaction was once another GTI parked next to me, stock height, but with engine mods. He didn't compliment my car but instead turned it into a pissing contest and started bragging about how his was faster than mine and how my air ride probably rode like shit. Like okay dude, cool.

Now that I have a GLI, I did actually have a random guy come up to me last week and say "wow that's a really nice car man."

ironically, yesterday I was parked in a Walmart parking lot as far away from anyone as I could be….. literally the opposite side of the lot. I come out of Walmart to see somebody in a lowered fiesta with mudflaps and a plate that read “whl spin” parking right next to me… Think of someone coming right next to you in a bathroom when all the other urinals are open, yet they pick the one right next to you. I was air’d out and he actually said “nice car!”.

why couldn’t you park 2 spots away and tell me that?

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP

He was gay and trying to hit on you.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Yeah here I thought awe was one of the better brands to go with. Might have to hit you up for one of those baddies.

Probably going to go with Jakes midpipe. I can't stand how exhaust shops just booger weld everything. Looks like dog shit and I'd be embarrassed to resell it tbh. But then again I still have my css muffler so might just throw that back on and figure out how to make that sound better and not so tinny.

Are you on the stock downpipe?

Guess we have different opinions of what sounds great. I can't imagine how unbearably droney, boomy and obnoxious this shit would be with an aftermarket dp.

I think that's also what makes it very hard to get someone's opinion of a "good sounding" exhaust. Because it's not something that's quantifiable, it's all subjective. The first exhaust I bought was the Rev9 because I didn't want to spend a lot of money, and dear god was it the worse sounding thing I've ever heard. Yet I've seen people with it go "Oh man this is awesome sounding!". Video clips are better, but still can be hard to judge. A cell phone or GoPro microphone isn't going to sound identically to how it does in real life, but is better than just someone's opinion at least.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I'm picking up a used Neuspeed catback to pair with my unitronic downpipe. I expect it to sound bad ass.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
He was gay and trying to hit on you.

He should take that as a compliment. I ventured into a gay bar or two in my youth with my wife and her gay friends, always flattering to get hit on by someone of the same sex.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
We don't have to turn this into a dem/con debate. All I was doing was riding the GLI lesbian wave, except I spun it to be gay this time.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
We don't have to turn this into a dem/con debate. All I was doing was riding the GLI lesbian wave, except I spun it to be gay this time.
too late!
boom, canceled!

Now go into your shame corner while teenagers with all the knowledge in the world tweet at you how the entire world should be run.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
I think what it really boils down to is that GTI drivers are lumped into the same category as WRX drivers, which most people see as douchebags. They think of them as the kind of people who sit at their local Sheetz/Wawa for hours and rev their engines. They pull up beside your stock car on the interstate and ride even with you revving to try and get you to race. The average 20some year old "kid" who "thinks their car is fast." These aren't the type of people who really get complimented on their car. Not saying a GLI is any better, or that it even deserves to be complimented. Just saying the GTI is most likely just viewed as a "douchebag car" by the majority of people.