Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Just had my windshield replaced. $300. Nice guy, did a good job. 30 years experience. Scamdemic crowd would have loved him. Close to the first words out of his mouth were (in response to a sign in my neighbors yard) "Black lives matter? How about all lives matter.". Over the next hour, proceeded to comment about Biden, gas prices, taxes, the pandemic... all the Scamdemic hot topics. Just kind of agreed since I wasn't going to argue with him, but even with that, was still a nice, friendly guy.

Watched him the entire time, he said he didn't mind and likes talking to people anyway. Paid care to things like the sensors and whatnot. The only "complaint" I have, is the glass looks to be pretty crap quality. The cut along the top edge is super rough. It's one of those things I'll completely forget about and won't even think about it after a few days, but you can tell it's bad just by looking at it.

View attachment 232199

View attachment 232200

Like, I thought it was the sealant oozing out until I tried cleaning it with a q-tip. It's just a very rough cut of glass. When we were talking during the install, he even commented how cheap (cost wise) the actual glass is, and how crazy it is places like Safelite charge $400+. Said out of the $300 I paid, $175 - $200 goes in his pocket after taking away the cost of taxes, material, and overhead.

that last pic....holy missing chunk of glass, or so it looks!

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
that last pic....holy missing chunk of glass, or so it looks!

It's not a missing a chunk of glass, it's just extra chunks of glass make it look that way.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
It's not a missing a chunk of glass, it's just extra chunks of glass make it look that way.

that's what I thought, but looks crazy....like it wasn't cut

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
That’s what you get for $300? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
That’s what you get for $300? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Pretty much.

Like I said, it's one of those things I'll forget about in a couple days and never think about anyway. You have to specifically be looking for it to notice it. As long as it doesn't leak and none of the sensors got fucked up (which it doesn't look like they did, but can't really tell), I have no complaints.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Who gives a shit. As long as the glass is not all loopey when you look through it - full send.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Yes, just the round opening for the rain sensor.

A place called 'Affordable Auto Glass', PGW, and no part number.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Biden cut oil production? 🤣🤣🤣 US oil production has been climbing since a drop-off during the pandemic. US shale oil may never return to full production, Russia and OPEC ran them into bankruptcy at the beginning of the pandemic by not cutting production when the pandemic killed demand.

This post isn't political, it's basic 8th grade level economics. If you don't understand it, or aren't willing to spend 2 seconds googling to actually see if US oil production is up or down, then you should probably not talk about it.
That's not entirely true bit not shocked coming from you.
Crude Oil Production in the United States decreased to 10809 BBL/D/1K in September from 11072 BBL/D/1K in August of 2021. source: U.S. Energy Information Administration

Screenshot_20211207-154936_Chrome.jpg

NoGodGetOverIt

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE/DSG
I got mine replaced with the rain sensor for $300 and he used Saint Gobain glass. Guy had 25 years of experience and did it perfectly.
Anybody got any paper cuts? Jim's got some salt and lemon for ya'.... :p

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Just had my windshield replaced. $300. Nice guy, did a good job. 30 years experience. Scamdemic crowd would have loved him. Close to the first words out of his mouth were (in response to a sign in my neighbors yard) "Black lives matter? How about all lives matter.". Over the next hour, proceeded to comment about Biden, gas prices, taxes, the pandemic... all the Scamdemic hot topics. Just kind of agreed since I wasn't going to argue with him, but even with that, was still a nice, friendly guy.

Watched him the entire time, he said he didn't mind and likes talking to people anyway. Paid care to things like the sensors and whatnot. The only "complaint" I have, is the glass looks to be pretty crap quality. The cut along the top edge is super rough. It's one of those things I'll completely forget about and won't even think about it after a few days, but you can tell it's bad just by looking at it.

View attachment 232199

View attachment 232200

Like, I thought it was the sealant oozing out until I tried cleaning it with a q-tip. It's just a very rough cut of glass. When we were talking during the install, he even commented how cheap (cost wise) the actual glass is, and how crazy it is places like Safelite charge $400+. Said out of the $300 I paid, $175 - $200 goes in his pocket after taking away the cost of taxes, material, and overhead.
Man sometimes people assume too much. I don’t share the same views as most of the other middle aged white men in my area. Stop assuming I’m on your side my man.
“Just because I’m dressed this way…” - Dave Chappel