GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

eXult

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI SE 6MT
Got my 16 SE MT a few weeks ago. Since then I've installed a raceseng shift knob, installed clutch stop, clutch spring delete, solid shifter bushings, shift linkage alignment, and clutch delay valve delete. The MT is a totally different animal now. I haven't had a ton of time to drive around, but so far it's awesome. Getting rid of that delay valve is easily the best thing I've done, highly recommend it to anyone not pumped about their MT. I didn't have the shifter alignment pin, so I used an Allen wrench. It allowed more play than I think there should have been, so I ordered an oem alignment pin and will redo the alignment when it gets here in a few days. It shifts just fine, but is a little notchy and not as smooth as I think it could be.

What did you not like about the MT before? This is my first MT and the thing that bothers me the most is how I can never shift into second gear without some crunch or resistance. Curious what mod I'd need to do to correct that.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Yes! That's why I was SO unimpressed with the OEM potenzas.....gave them 2500 miles to break in.....nada.

I was originally pretty disappointed with the OEM Contis on my R, coming from PSS on my last car, but after they broke in, they're fine. Not to say I wouldn't rather PSS lol.

I'm considering the AS3+ for replacements. I definitely don't need snow tires, but I'd sometimes like to not worry about running summer tires in near freezing temperatures.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I was originally pretty disappointed with the OEM Contis on my R, coming from PSS on my last car, but after they broke in, they're fine. Not to say I wouldn't rather PSS lol.

I'm considering the AS3+ for replacements. I definitely don't need snow tires, but I'd sometimes like to not worry about running summer tires in near freezing temperatures.

What really did me in was that after only one night of 20 degrees (not even dipping to single digits), all the OEM tires had flat spots in them that 30 minutes of highway driving couldn't "iron out". I literally felt like my axles were aftermarket (not raxles either)......we've all felt that.....fine until you get up in speed.

And we're only in Dec. Couldn't take that all winter.

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd

Removed the clutch spring. Deleting the spring helped make the pedal not seem as light as it was and I can feel the engagement more. Free mods are the best lol. Now just need to get the ECS Clutch bleeder valve and ECS stainless steel line

thelateoctober

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2919 R

Removed the clutch spring. Deleting the spring helped make the pedal not seem as light as it was and I can feel the engagement more. Free mods are the best lol. Now just need to get the ECS Clutch bleeder valve and ECS stainless steel line

Taking the delay valve out of the stock bleeder block is a lot cheaper than buying the ecs one.

thelateoctober

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2919 R
What did you not like about the MT before? This is my first MT and the thing that bothers me the most is how I can never shift into second gear without some crunch or resistance. Curious what mod I'd need to do to correct that.

It was pretty sloppy, lots of play in the selector. The shift knob is plastic, really tall, and almost weightless. A heavier, shorter knob helps dampen some vibration and makes the throw shorter and easier. The clutch pedal was really weird. The spring made the press feel odd and gummy. The delay valve in the bleeder block slows down the engagement and makes it feel soft and can make your clutch wear out more quickly. Removing that makes engagement much quicker and more direct. I'm not great at describing the way all of it felt, but you get the idea.

To fix your crunching I'd suggest realigning the shifter mechanism. Removing the spring takes 30 seconds, and can be put back in if you don't like it. All of these mods are easily reversible if you change your mind about it. I think it was designed to go kind of easy on people who had never driven a manual before when it really just felt sloppy to me.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

I've got the same granite lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd
Taking the delay valve out of the stock bleeder block is a lot cheaper than buying the ecs one.

That’s true. The ECS one is just a better quality piece then? I also watched this video of a guy taking the stock delay valve and saying the delay valve is what causes stage 1 tuned cars with a stock clutch to slip. Not sure how accurate that is

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd

thelateoctober

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2919 R
That’s true. The ECS one is just a better quality piece then? I also watched this video of a guy taking the stock delay valve and saying the delay valve is what causes stage 1 tuned cars with a stock clutch to slip. Not sure how accurate that is

It is my understanding that the delay valve causes increased wear on the clutch even without a tune. You can remove the delay valve from the stock bleeder block without replacing the bleeder block though. Took me about 30 minutes. https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/man...mentioned that already, it's next on my list.