GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

ACHILLES R32

Drag Racing Champion
Well that's the first I've heard of someone getting pulled over for an air freshener.... Wow
Yeah it's some crazy law in very that was passed couple years ago. I'm definitely not hanging anything around the mirror again.

I still think that he profiled me for the exhaust fumes and when he saw that my record was fairly clean let me off with a warning.

"According to Va. Code 46.2-1054, “It shall be unlawful for any person to drive a motor vehicle on the highway in the Commonwealth with any object or objects, other than a rearview mirror, sun visor or other equipment of the motor vehicle approved by the Superintendent, suspended from any part of the motor vehicle in such a manner as to obstruct the driver’s clear view of the highway through the windshield, the front side windows, or the rear window or to alter a passenger-carrying vehicle in such a manner as to obstruct the driver’s view through the windshield.”

GolNat

Autocross Champion
AWE Downpipe got installed on the car Friday, definitely a good modification. It really helpes the car breath. With the stock downpipe and the neuspeed catback the car felt restrictive in the higher rpms.

The night before I made the 50mile drive, I flashed stage 2 . On my way there I honestly couldn't feel the difference between stage 1 and 2. Maybe there was a slight difference in the topend , eitherway very minimal . I knew that would change once the downpipe got installed.

The drive back was fantastic , took it down some curvey roads car handled great. Power delivery with stage 2 is amazing it's very smooth and linear car just goes ?.
(IE Stage 1) also had smooth and linear power delivery, but top end wasn't as good.

Honestly if I stayed IE stage 1 with a downpipe I probably would enjoyed it just as much. I might go back to stage 1 just to try it with the downpipe. I was happy with stage 1, but wanted a louder exhaust note and of course for only a $50 upgraded why not go stage2 ,?.

The exhaust note is definitely louder but a good loud it's not raspy, it's got a good deep tone. I did notice some drone but I was in 4th at 55mph about 3500rpm. Was just testing the sound levels. Shifted to 5th and drone was gone.
Cruising at 70mph in 6th I didn't notice any drone .

Around town and in D mode it's not much louder than the stock downpipe and just the neuspeeed catback. Cold start it nice , again definitely louder with a deep tone but won't wake the neighbors.
(The same can't be said for my neighbours g35 thing drones and it's raspy and it definitely wakes me up?, anyways back to the gti lol)

I hope to get some exhaust clips at some point but need to get a good external mic and camera. (If you guys have any suggestions let me know.)

But for the meantime I want the lay low?, GTI gave me enough attention on Friday. I'll go briefly into the story before I conclude everything about the downpipe and tune.

Just as I get into town , about a mile and a half from the highway exit. I get pulled over by a cop, but not for the reason you might think. More on that shortly .I

Idid do a few pulls on the highway who wouldn't after an new exhaust and tune. However I was still driving civilized, as I was getting of the exit ramp I could smell my exhaust fumes a bit ( highflow cat after all). I'm going the speed limit 45mph stop and go traffic.

As I roll down my windows a bit to hear my exhaust ( still going 45mph) . I look at my rearview mirror , I see a cop behind me he's a good 6 car lenghts back. All of a sudden he speeds up and stars tailing me ( does it for about half a mile ) as we are approaching the stop light the turns on the sirens ( I knew as soon as he started tailing me he was going to pull me over)

He turns his lights on , I pull over. He is walking to the car,
( whole time I'm thinking it's got to be the exhaust fumes he was smelling or the exhaust tone).

He goes sir do you know why I pulled you over?
No officer.
He tells me .. you got a tree hanging.
A tree? I ask him

Yes, your air freshener can't be obstructing your windshield.

Oh , I was unaware of that officer . ( Wich I really was I had the the same style of air freshener hanging for years not once did I get pulled over for it.)

I give him my license ask him if he wants my insurance card and registration he says no.
Goes to to his car and checks my license , comes back and just gives me a verbal warning about the air freshener.

Whole time while he had me pulled over, all he was looking at was my old downpipe in the back?. Never asked what it was and I wasn't going to say anything unless he asked.
I did have it wrapped up pretty good ?. (Pic attached)

To conclude ,
I definitely would recommend a downpipe and stage 2 maybe even just a downpipe and a stage 1 tune .
Would I recommend the awe downpipe? that really depends, I was looking for a resonated downpipe with a highflow cat that would pair really well with my neuspeeed catback.

I considered the unitronic downpipe but I would need to get a custom resonator and
I didn't really want to deal with the extra hassle of getting all that done. I also didn't really want a 3in downpipe wanted to stay to stock size tubing a close as possible.

In the end I probably would have saved $200 to $250 . If I went the unitronic route with vibrant resonator.

Overall I'm very satisfied with the whole outcome excluding the fact that I got pulled over for the stupidest reason.

If you read this far thank you!! and I apologise for the long post.

:LOL: that's a great story. I think that is technically a law here but no one actually enforces it. He was definitely profiling and hoping to get more out of you. Sounds like the AWE was a solid choice for you. Having a resonator does help with the rasp so that was a good call.

Stage 2 is a lot of fun, enjoy ?

That sounds much better than my car honking its horn on locking.

The honk was so annoying. It was the first thing I turned off. The soft chirp is sooooo much better.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Yeah it's some crazy law in very that was passed couple years ago. I'm definitely not hanging anything around the mirror again.

I still think that he profiled me for the exhaust fumes and when he saw that my record was fairly clean let me off with a warning.

"According to Va. Code 46.2-1054, “It shall be unlawful for any person to drive a motor vehicle on the highway in the Commonwealth with any object or objects, other than a rearview mirror, sun visor or other equipment of the motor vehicle approved by the Superintendent, suspended from any part of the motor vehicle in such a manner as to obstruct the driver’s clear view of the highway through the windshield, the front side windows, or the rear window or to alter a passenger-carrying vehicle in such a manner as to obstruct the driver’s view through the windshield.”
that's an accessory charge. he didn't have PC to truly pull you over, and he was bored and went fishing. lucky to get away with a verbal and no further questions.

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
Just installed the ECS hatch kit. I have the Double Apex button but didn't feel like pulling apart the center console this evening and crawling under the dash.

The ceramic coating goes on Wednesday :D

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
Which button?
Double apex has a hatch pop button that replaces one of the false buttons in the center console. It allows you to open the hatch from in the car without the fob. You can buy it here or as part of the hatch release kit from ecs or usp.

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion

R^2

Ready to race!
I'm running the apr ss with IE bushings and bracket. It's pretty great. Throw on a weighted shift knob and she shifts like butter.
I’m looking at Raceseng and BFI for weighted shift knobs. I’m honestly still getting used to my car after all that was done. The power delivery is definitely different and amazing. The steering along with how the car feels is - tighter, more precise. Same goes for the shifting, no more sloppy long throws - the play is all but eliminated.

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
I went with raceseng and couldn't be happier. I really like the look of the bfi knobs, but I read too many negative reviews about fitment and failure.

torga

Autocross Champion
Around town and in D mode it's not much louder than the stock downpipe and just the neuspeeed catback. Cold start it nice , again definitely louder with a deep tone but won't wake the neighbors.
(The same can't be said for my neighbours g35 thing drones and it's raspy and it definitely wakes me up?, anyways back to the gti lol)
Those 350/370 and G35 hotbois are in drone city. Straight-piped VQ engines are among the most annoying exhaust notes. Right after any trashy 4cyl (Cavalier, Cobalt, base Lancer, etc) with an exhaust cut-off. As well as any 90s shitbox V8 with an exhaust cut-off.
I went with raceseng and couldn't be happier. I really like the look of the bfi knobs, but I read too many negative reviews about fitment and failure.
If you fasten down the set screws without Loctite, the BFI knob will come loose after a month. I used blue Loctite last time that happened and it hasn't budged since - that was over a year ago. But I imagine this is true for any knob whose adapter utilizes radial set screws to hold the knob onto the lever - that design isn't localized to BFI.
As far as fitment, I'll eventually get a different knob because the BFI knob sits too high for my liking. I'm looking at some of Raceseng's offerings, as well as Agency Power's delrin knob.

ACHILLES R32

Drag Racing Champion
Here are some pics of my coverking plaid seat covers installed. Unfortunately who ever stiched my cover didn't really pay attention to matching the lines and patterns. I went back and forth with their support for over a week about it. They refused to send me a replacement, because they couldn't guarantee a perfect match. However they did offer a refund.
I just didn't want to go through the process of returning it/ reordering it . Whose to say that the next set wouldn't have the same issue.

the fit is pretty good , not perfect. The seat bolster stitching is a bit narrow. The bottom seat cover fabric does get a bit lose over time. But can be easily adjusted. You do loose a bit of bolster support because the neoprene material is a bit thick. But it's not bad at all.

They are pricey at $250 , but I did want to protect the leather seats . Overall I would say it's a 7.5/10

Attachments

• IMG_20200124_162813.jpg
    IMG_20200124_162813.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 155
  • IMG_20200124_162747.jpg
    IMG_20200124_162747.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 163
Last edited: