GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did everyone go to school for?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I've found a few white papers on it, but it gets into calculating the volume of the neck vs the volume of the canister and it's not very clear. Fair enough though, if it's over your head, and you're an engineer, I don't feel quite as bad about it 🤣
Oh man it’s not because it’s over my head. It’s cuz it’s super over my head. I never really worked in my field

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Wait, math has symbols?!?!

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
lol it was a convoluted journey.

1st semester @ Rowan University, I hated it and signed up for community college for my 2nd semester. Worked full time at my current company while paying for comm college out of pocket.

once I got my associates, I xferred to Rutgers. My first week of classes I started out in Computer Science classes. When I couldn’t even begin to understand the Calculus, I noped str8 outta Comp Sci and asked an advisor what my best route for a technology degree outside of the Comp Sci major was. They said IT, it’s Comp Sci with no Calculus (B.A. vs B.S.).

But the pre-req class to get into IT was closed to admission so I wasnt able to take it that semester, meaning I wouldn’t actually be able to get into the major until the following fall, assuming I got a passing grade that spring. That put me a year behind my graduation schedule, so I pivoted to Economics... remember how I suck at math/calc? Yeah... Econ didn’t go so smooth.

so I finally ended up with an IT degree after 5.5 years of schooling, and managed to land a job in the same company I had been working for since high school’s IT dept (Wawa).

I am returning to my alma mater online for my Masters of Information in Data Science this fall. Looking forward to getting out of a support job and into BI/Analytics.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
B.S. Mechanical Engineering - Had the opportunity to do my masters at my school but chose to go into industry and happy for that. BTW changed my major 3 times as well, did a year in compsci, a year in EE and then 2.5 years in Mech-E

Concentration in thermal fluid systems and steel material science but don't use any of the interesting parts really.

Agree with Keehs, way too much math and fuck trying to design a hemholtz resonator by theory. Much better idea to make a few versions and see which one works best, then arrive at a final design after that testing.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
It was when math involved weird ass symbols, that’s when I knew I fucked up. I was being tutored left and right by human calculators

I lived in the tutoring center at Rutgers dude. Couldn’t have gotten through programming OR precalc (yes - PRE calc) without it. OOP and Precalc were the hardest classes of my college career.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I lived in the tutoring center at Rutgers dude. Couldn’t have gotten through programming OR precalc (yes - PRE calc) without it. OOP and Precalc were the hardest classes of my college career.
man every semester, i was grinding with tutors. there were freaking greek symbols and shit at one point. dude i was barely holding on, i had a weak gpa compared to some of the human calculators in class.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
BS in Mechanical Engineering and jumped straight into the field. Didn't wanna stay longer with an MS because I hated being in the books -- just wanted to hurry up and learn practical stuff. Always been a hands-on learner, worked as a machinist during school and did Formula SAE for two years. For those that don't know, FSAE is a collegiate auto building and racing project -- you and a team of your peers follow a strict formula and build a car to those specs. We bought an engine, tires, differential, coilovers and... that was pretty much it. We designed/built everything else in-house, then took it to a national competition to race against other schools. Wouldn't trade that experience for anything.

Here's me doing some driver training in one of the cars we built.
adsj,cvhbljhb.jpeg

Worked in defense for a few years, got bored of the slow pace and now I'm working in consumer electronics.

Last edited:

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Bunch of Ivory Tower Tweeds here. I would have flunked out.
Mud
Haha, You know I didnt have the greatest GPA but it hasn't mattered in life - most of the folks with good GPA's cant filter the important stuff from the useless stuff so they learn it all.

The only classes I ever got legit honest A's in were dynamics and senior capstone. I got A's in a handful of other classes and they were all the kind where the final can count for 100% of your grade if you get a 95% or higher. I was a fuckin master of the all nighter and test taking.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Haha, You know I didnt have the greatest GPA but it hasn't mattered in life - most of the folks with good GPA's cant filter the important stuff from the useless stuff so they learn it all.

The only classes I ever got legit honest A's in were dynamics and senior capstone. I got A's in a handful of other classes and they were all the kind where the final can count for 100% of your grade if you get a 95% or higher. I was a fuckin master of the all nighter and test taking.

you sound like me lol. Got pretty mixed grades most of college until my senior year when I was in all 3-400 level comp sci classes. interestingly, when I actually cared about the classes, I got almost straight A’s and 1 B in-major for an in-major GPA of 3.87. Cumulative was a 3.19, maybe 3.24

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
BS Business Admin, major in Organizational Management and Minor HR. MBA from Colorado State and am knee deep in business every day.

Last edited: