GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What Could Cause Missed DSG Shifts After Cooling System Service?

Otosi

Daily Driver
Hoping some of you mechanics out there can give me some perspective. My 2007 GTI w/ 6sp DSG (162K) was just in the shop for oil, filter, heater core, thermostat and recirc flapper motor repairs. It's been maintained at the dealer since day one. It's a great car in great condition.

I picked it up in 18 degree weather and drove it home (about 20 miles). The next morning, while getting on the highway, I had what felt like 2 or 3 missed shifts as I was getting up to speed. I was at mid throttle and the car abruptly cut power and clunked. It was sketchy. It did not feel like a backfire, nor did it feel like ESP was intervening. I drove it straight to the dealer.

The car sat at the dealer overnight. They test drove it and claim there are no issues. No fault codes.

Can any of you think of a scenario that would explain how this symptom could be tied to the recent service? I've never experienced anything like this from the car before. Now I'm wondering if I need to trade it in soon.

Thanks!

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
You never know...I have felt strange stuff that never returned. It could just be fluid from the service that got into an electrical connector. I got some strange bucking before shortly after an engine bay cleaning with no codes. I normally/never get this, but that one time I used No Touch Tire spray when it had dried because a show was coming up. I suggest waiting and see if it returns. Good Luck

Otosi

Daily Driver
Roh I'm hoping you're right, but I'm starting to have my doubts. I picked up the car at the dealer today. On the drive home, I got a flashing check engine light. I pulled over, called the dealer. By the time I restarted the car the CEL had cleared completely. Weird. Anyone had something like this before?

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Yes, but a code should still be stored. Have you had a look at stored codes since?

Otosi

Daily Driver
I tried the autoparts store, with a basic ODB reader. They said nothing was there. But I don't know that they can really see everything that you can with a VAGCOM.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Not sure why a misfire code wouldn't appear on their scan tool.
Could be a coil, plug, or anything ignition related to cause it to misfire badly. As U.G.MKV said, a flashing CEL is often linked to misfiring due to ignition or coils.

Typically a misfire code is stored, but most others have found what you are going through to be coils.
Wouldn't hurt to go with new oem coils(not aftermarket) and see. If you later find it to be something else, you could return the current coils to duty and store the new ones for when needed.

Also, will you inspect your plugs if you do do the plugs...and at least post which plugs they are?

Last edited: