GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What are the Pros ,and Cons of coil overs?

adamgti

Trust me, I'm an engineer
Car(s)
07 CW GTI 4 dr

BlueAHR32

Autocross Champion
Pros = looks cool

Cons = decreased performance if car is lowered beyond stock 08-09 ride height.

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2005 S2000
Pros = looks cool

Cons = decreased performance if car is lowered beyond stock 08-09 ride height.

This is not exactly true. The suspension geometry may not be in it's optimal range but the benefits of lowering the center of gravity can out weigh the losses caused from the geometry. You just have to increase the roll resistance enough, and of course not slam the car. However, very few aftermarket setups have enough roll resistance to make lowering the car beneficial.

nate122

Go Kart Champion
Pros= stunting hard, drag cats with your oil pan, handles like a beast. Have girls call your car cute. Always have a reason to not have to drive people/friends when you go places.

Cons= have to drive differently ( side everything), makes your 5 seat hatchback turn into a 2 seater, Increased tire wear, damaged underbody, fcked up fenders,

GodSquadMandrake

Radioactive Rotary Rocket
I was wondering whats so great about loweeing the car and whats bad about it?

posted w/my phone

The pros of coilovers aren't just lowering it. You can tune the ride height to exactly what your looking for. Looks, performance, or a good compromise. The adjustable shocks let you setup your ride for performance or comfort with just a few clicks. Almost any coilover is going to give you a handling improvement however, in many different ways. A higher spring rate means less body roll. A thicker shock tube means more precision and control especially over bumps. Inverted shocks mean less unsprung weight which rides softer, responds faster, and is more controlled over bumps. A small diameter coil spring means less rubbing on the spring and perch if you go more aggressive with the width of the tires. You can get coilovers with spherical bearing camber plates and spherical bearings on the rear shocks which means less flex from soft rubber bushings and greater response and control. Camber plates also allow you to adjust the camber and gain huge grip in the corners, but decreased grip in straight lines. What else... the ability to tune and perfect your suspension by changing to custom springs and shock valving. If it's too soft, just change out the springs and get the shocks revalved. Coilovers, depending on which one, also take a lot more abuse. I don't know if that matters like if you're into rally or anything...
There are so many aspects, details, and benefits. It's all in what your looking for and where your planning to go. Swaybars are simple, but the actual coilovers are so much more. Even the tiny things like gas pressure can be adjusted and that can mean the difference between a bouncy uncontrollable car or a smooth precise handling car.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
A good question, although your title question and the question you posed in the body are two different questions (ride height, coilovers).

Coilovers allow for corner balancing the car. There is nothing a coilover can do that a shock/spring combo cannot do other than easily allow ride height changes. Front McPherson struts essentially are "coilovers". Of course their original purpose has been somewhat lost in the bizarre desire to lower cars to the ground resulting in broken oil pans and other expensive parts. If you don't need the car weight balanced in some specific way, you really don't need coilovers. Save $ and get regular good quality shocks/springs. There are plenty of lowering options with regular springs.

Regarding ride height, search suspension forum on Vortex, there's excellent stuff there in the archives. Given that you have winter, and lots of it in upstate NY the stock suspension looks pretty good!

Here's a start:

http://audittmk1.blogspot.com/2009/06/tt-suspension-geometry-analysis-how-bad.html

Last edited:

julito04

I plead the fif.
Car(s)
08 WRX Limited
Pros= stunting hard, drag cats with your oil pan, handles like a beast. Have girls call your car cute. Always have a reason to not have to drive people/friends when you go places.

Cons= have to drive differently ( side everything), makes your 5 seat hatchback turn into a 2 seater, Increased tire wear, damaged underbody, fcked up fenders,

Bahahaha couldnt be any more true.

Friend - "Can you drive?"
Me - "Yea"
Friend - "sweet, when you coming to get me?"
Me - "Oh, I meant I can drive myself, I cant have passengers. Ill rub"
Friend - :(

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI

Me - "Yea"

:lol::lol::lol:

nate122

Go Kart Champion
:thumbsup:

Me - "Yea"

LOL i dont even drive myself... i make them drive me... super win :thumbsup:

Reason

Banned

Me - "Yea"

:bellyroll:

Pros: You get to say shit like 'moar low' and 'lol 4x4'.

Cons: You start driving your car like it was made of paper mache(sp)