GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What $5000 for mods for 2008 mkv GTI..?

Parky

Passed Driver's Ed
Im looking at throwing $5k in mods to a stock 08 GTI DSG 5dr to equal or better the new Scirocco R. Only catch is it still needs to be perfectly drivable as a daily..

Any advice will be greatly appreciated gentleman...

chaddy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
R32
Send a PM to Yousnooze, I think he has one of the most sensibly modded GTIs I've seen.

But IMHO
> Suspension
>Engine mods/Flash tune
>Exhaust

stephen8512

Ready to race!
5K to make it as good as a scirocco R?

hmmm good luck, but heres a list

1) Reflash (depending on whoyou go with anywhere between 900-1.5K)
2) full turboback (between 2K-3K)
3) intake (250-500)
4) suspension coilovers or shock/spring combo (2-4K)

not much for 5K...and def not gonna match the rocco R in terms of performance or whatever

Dingah

Crusty Aviator
Car(s)
Audi SQ5
APR Stage 2
H&R Adjustable sways
HPA KW SHS Coilovers
18s with decent rubber Conti CS3/RE050A

Dingah

SleekY

Ready to race!
^ what they said..except for the zorst.. i love the sound but don't see myself spending 2-3k for such a small gain of power

ECU Flash
Suspension
Intake
Rev-D Diverter Valve (DV) if ECU flashing it.
Sways

darkorb

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 Rabbit
Coils, Wheels, Chip, Downpipe/exhaust, Intake

Done

saad

Go Kart Champion
As above. Even just coilovers, sway bars, and reflash. Coilovers will be about $2500, h&R swaybars for $900, a bluefin will be $800 (not worth paying twice as much for APR), get a forge twintake for $600 or so, and if any change left, see if you can get a downpipe, and get a stage 2 flash (again from bluefin). That will be fun. Also, secondhand parts are great value

saad

Go Kart Champion
Oh the latest revision diverter valve is a much stronger design than the earlier one as it uses a piston instead of a rubber diaphragm. It controls your boost pressure, and when you increase the boost through a reflash etc, the original valve can tear. VW recognised this, and brought a new one. Often they are replaced under warrantee.

YouSnooze

You won't feel a thing ;)
Car(s)
2006 Mk V GTi
Send a PM to Yousnooze, I think he has one of the most sensibly modded GTIs I've seen.

But IMHO
> Suspension
>Engine mods/Flash tune
>Exhaust
Thanks mate :thumbsup:

You can get a lot for 5k. Definitely do NOT spend 2-3k on a turboback and 2k for coilovers. Great products can be had for much much less
We are talking Australian Dollars my friend - we pay approximately double what you pay for aftermarket parts down here :cry:.

Realistically $5K is not even close to get close to a Roc R. Just forget it - they are completely different vehicles. Better to accept that $5K will get you substantial improvements over a stock GTI - but it will still be a GTI.
If you want performance improvements & are not terribly interested in extra sound from exhaust/intakes etc (which won't actually net you much more performance gains over a stage 1 ECU reflash) & don't plan on tracking your car I would recommend:
H&R sway bars
HPA SHS coilovers
Stage 1 ECU reflash (whatever 'brand' you want)
Braided brake lines/good fluid & Hawk HPS pads (all up about $500 fitted)
Torque arm insert

That should eat up your 5K. If you can get sways/coilovers 2nd hand & save a bit, you should also look at stronger/lighter wheels - they make a big difference. Stick with nothing larger than 18s though - best balance between weight/ride/handling/tyre costs/life.

Good luck!

isaw84

Banned
Car(s)
MKV GTI
My 5K

Springs/shocks: Eibach Prokit springs and KONI FSD shocks.
kit is about 1200AUD delivered from america, NAmotorsports or another forum sponsor will help you out.
rear sway: whiteline RSB $250 or less
whiteline antilift kit: $220 adds castor and helps reduce wheel hop.
downpipe: $1000 Take your pick of brands, but something that mates to the stock cat back is the way to go. better/quicker spool and more turbo noise :D
intake $350 take your pick again! twin take is nice but $$$ dont bother with a carbonio.
stage 2 ECU flash $1000 aud (GIAC/REVO/Bluefin)
RDA front slotted rotors and new pads $500 IMO the stock lines are fine, but a flush, or at least taking out the fluid close to the actual brakes, is a must
Torque arm insert $100

with the last $500 you can pay for someone to install it all, or if your keen for DIY get a set of KU36 rubber, the 235/45/17's fit with the fender screw mod and will stick like shit to a blanket. bewarned you'll only get 15k tops from the rubber, if treated well.

Next would be lightweight rims, and then a upgraded fuel pump.
Most of the coilover suspension in australia isn't ADR approved, and the ones that are (TIEN, KW v3's) arent cheap! hence the springs in my package.

the above is the setup on my car and I'm very happy with it, its balanced and has enough getup without being overly scary. has a very nice ride for a daily as well, but will handle track duties when required.

saad

Go Kart Champion
Be warned, dont buy anything cos its cheaper. H&R sways are expensive, but are worth it and no one ever had probs with them. Also get front and rear ideally, otherwise youll upset the balance of the car.

GTI_SS

illektronik
Car(s)
APR Edition 30 GTI M
Im looking at throwing $5k in mods to a stock 08 GTI DSG 5dr to equal or better the new Scirocco R. Only catch is it still needs to be perfectly drivable as a daily..

Any advice will be greatly appreciated gentleman...

I'll never better equal or better the Scirocco R's with $5,000. You'll only improve than handling of your MKV. The Scirocco's much lower centre of gravity and much wider track make it a better handling platform (vs the GTI MKV) stock for stock.

The idea of improving the GTI's handling is great, and the above advice is good, but with the aim to equal or better the Roc R you're kinda comparing apples to oranges.

Good luck on your mission. Lots of good info out there to be read. :thumbsup: