GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

weird suspension noise sounds like a bag of wrenches

Car(s)
2008 GTI Tornado Red
I didn't drive my GTI (2008, 130k mi) much over the last year working from home and i can't remember if there was a noise developing, but the front shocks prob need a refresh. but there has been a strange and concerning noise in the front passenger side over small and large potholes that sounds anywhere from a metal clanking to a metallic "bag of wrenches" jangling sound just upon impact and it seems to be getting a little worse and more frequent. my shop just did the axle on that side but didn't seem to notice this noise when I mentioned it - it was happening before the axle replacement. Any ideas? Strut mounts? swaybar linkage? bad spring? I kind of want to just replace the struts and upper mounts but wonder if springs are needed too. I have had the control arms and bushings (with S3 mounts) replaced recently and ball joints too.

I am looking for an OEM+ ride with maybe a minimal drop (.25") and either Bilstein B4 with H&R OE Sport springs or the Koni cup kit with STR.T + Eibach springs, if anyone has any rec's.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
So the shop did some work for you and did not look at the noise issues or they did not find any?? Might want to check the rack and see if the bushing are gone.

Car(s)
2008 GTI Tornado Red
Just got back with the new setup and the ride is very nice! Ride height is about the same as before with worn springs/shocks, gap looks fine to me but I don't usually slam my car. It is just as comfy if not more so than stock. I need a little more time but on the 15min drive home it felt taut and supple enough, no real harshness. I have the rear shocks set to 37% stiff (there are 720 deg of adjustment and I went 3/4 of a turn from full soft) and not sure about the fronts I figured I would fiddle later since they can be adjusted easier but they are probably between full soft and half soft. No real curves on the way home but I bet it would feel nicer with a little lower/stiffer springs but this seemed just right in terms of ride comfort and handling.

MagicMK

Drag Racing Champion
spring broke! Ordered new shocks and struts went with Koni Yellow and H&R OE Sport springs.

Was wondering if you did the work yourself or had a shop do it? If you had a shop do the work, how much did you spend for labor? Btw, I've noticed that MKV's seem to have a habit of blowing through stabilizer bar links on the front suspension. I just had mine into the dealer for the dreaded timing belt change (did not want to do that one myself)... the dealer did it for $1200, so thought it was worth it. My 2008 was due for inspection by next month, so I just said, please inspect it as well. How about they came back to me with about $4300 in repairs... and I've already done a bunch of work on the car, myself, and it "only" has about 105K miles on it, too.

nm_

Car(s)
2008 MKV GTI
Was wondering if you did the work yourself or had a shop do it? If you had a shop do the work, how much did you spend for labor? Btw, I've noticed that MKV's seem to have a habit of blowing through stabilizer bar links on the front suspension. I just had mine into the dealer for the dreaded timing belt change (did not want to do that one myself)... the dealer did it for $1200, so thought it was worth it. My 2008 was due for inspection by next month, so I just said, please inspect it as well. How about they came back to me with about $4300 in repairs... and I've already done a bunch of work on the car, myself, and it "only" has about 105K miles on it, too.

what extra stuff did they find? seems like a steep repair bill!!!

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
They need to take that trip to Vegas and have some extra cash plus make the payment on the boat this month;)

MagicMK

Drag Racing Champion
what extra stuff did they find? seems like a steep repair bill!!!
Sorry, busy week/weekend (just saw this). The dealer found all types of ish... my front pads and rotors are good, yet they wanted new rotors due to "delaminating," which, too me, is just the affect of rotors aging in the North East and rusting. I do have high quality new rotors ready to go - just didn't think it should be a fail. Also they hit me for a "leaky head gasket." Now, keep in mind, my car is often parked in the same spot - and there is no oil that leaks from it. The car has a little over 105K miles on it. I asked the dealer - how is that a safety issue? He tells me, "idk, I think the issue is if the oil is dripping on a hot surface, it's a safety hazard due to possible fire." Again, my car doesn't leak any oil that leaves any spots in the driveway (although, we I do an oil change, oil does drip, of course). Sooo.... I think that one was BS. They also said I needed a passenger side stabilizer bar (which is likely true), 2 new ball joints (both were replaced around 65K miles a few years ago), and he said both rear springs were bad (slight rust at bottom of springs, but I replaced both shocks and rear stabilizer bars), and he said the front passenger side coil spring was bad (I'm guessing that might be a true issue).

So, I have some work to do on the car for sure, but I'm thinking I'm going to take the car to another shop for a "second opinion."

Btw, I'm wondering if you or anyone else has done a strut job on your own? Since I'm thinking about doing the ball joints, the rotors, the stabilizer bar (or bars), and the pads... all at the same time, I was wondering if anyone did the coil spring coil overs on their own. I had 2 new Bilstein shocks installed by a garage (along with the ball joints) around 65K miles. So, I'm wondering if I should just buy a new strut and spring, and just replace the entire unit and just remove the old unit - all as one, as opposed to dealing with a spring compressor for removal. I may just add an entire new thread on this issue, but for now, lmk your thoughts, please.

Thanks.

Car(s)
2008 GTI Tornado Red
The shop charged me $2400 to do new brakes (pads and rotors) and install springs and struts and alignment. This was like a gut punch when they told me lol. Of course the car is old and is apparently a rust bucket so they had to cut or drill out many bolts that were frozen even after the usual methods (torch, etc) and also the rear calipers were bad and the front swaybar endlinks were also needing to be cut off/replaced. They also said I have a seeping rear main seal and didn't think it was a big deal (can be replaced during clutch replacement later on as long as it doesn't decide to let go).

Car(s)
2008 GTI Tornado Red
I felt that the front was a little busy and I firmed the front struts 1 turn from full soft (approx. 50% stiff I believe) which was as easy as turning a knob on top of the struts. The adjustment is for rebound so it counterintuitively calmed down the front and made the car more planted and smoother and ride better. I am pretty sold on the Koni Yellows so far. I might have done the Eibach sportline springs which have a little more drop and maybe stiffer as there is a little roll before the suspension tightens up but otherwise I love it so far.

Car(s)
2008 GTI Tornado Red
IMG-1752.jpg