GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Weird Rev Hang issue

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
Weird WOT issue

Ok I'm APR stage II, full 3" Turbo back exhaust, neuspeed intake, forge cc, blah blah blah. Those are the essentials. Ever since I got flashed for stage II from stage I I've had this weird issue, and of course its intermittent. When I push the clutch in the revs hang and then very slowly dip back down. That's the intermittent issue. Now this issue happens almost every time. If I'm in 5th or 6th and go WOT, the engine sounds like it it revs up and then dips a little back down. Then takes off normally. No loss of boost or anything, other than the normal spike and then dips back down just a little, but performs normal from that respect.

Is this a fueling issue since I don't have the upgraded pump? I plan on getting one with my tax return this year, but I just don't want to throw it on until I figure out what this issue is.

Last edited:

daschrier

Passed Driver's Ed
First issue sounds normal, it's an emissions thing. The 2nd issue sounds like your clutch is on the way out.

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
The first could be something do with the intake, or a slight air leak. The second is your clutch slipping

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
Odd, I've had clutches go before and it was never like that. Why would a slipping clutch cause the revs to hang? Not a big deal since I have a new clutch just waiting to go in anyway

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
its most likely and intake / air issue for the revs hanging.. I used to have that on my car.

The slipping clutch in 5th/6th at WOT is because the pressure plate doesnt have enough clamping pressure, and the disc material may not be good enough to grab with that much torque at high load situations

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
its most likely and intake / air issue for the revs hanging.. I used to have that on my car.

The slipping clutch in 5th/6th at WOT is because the pressure plate doesnt have enough clamping pressure, and the disc material may not be good enough to grab with that much torque at high load situations

Gotcha, I would have thought I'd lose it more in lower gears though when more torque is being used.

daschrier

Passed Driver's Ed
The clutch sees the same tq no matter what gear you're in, since it's attached to the flywheel...

The reason it slips more in higher gears is that there is a higher load placed on the clutch and you're spending more time in that part of the power band due to the lower gear ratio.

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
Gotcha, makes sense. Guess I gotta find someone to put in the new one I've got in my basement lol

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
The clutch sees the same tq no matter what gear you're in, since it's attached to the flywheel...

Ok I read this before and just accepted it, but after thinking about it, how could the tq be the same no matter what gear or RPM your at? Amount of torque changes depending on RPM. And your not going to shift at the same RPM every time, not to mention if your trying to rev match your going to be putting more torque on it. Am I thinking right?

I understand its my clutch slipping now, but just don't believe the same amount of torque is applied to the clutch no matter what.

daschrier

Passed Driver's Ed
Because the clutch is connected directly to the engine and isn't affected by the gear ratios.

You are correct that the tq does change with RPM though, although in most modern stock turbo cars, the tq band is programmed to be near flat for most of the rev range.

GTi R Enigma

Profitier...
Car(s)
CW 07 GTi 5dr HB
Do a throttle body alignment and see if that helps. It's very simple. Get in car close door insert key, don't start, wait till all clicking and huming stop. Turn key off. And your done

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
Do a throttle body alignment and see if that helps. It's very simple. Get in car close door insert key, don't start, wait till all clicking and huming stop. Turn key off. And your done

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

I'll give it a shot, can't hurt.

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
Ok something interesting realized the other day. Had a friend come for a ride with me, and he watched my tach while I drove. In 6th gear, at about 60mph, put my foot down, and heard the engine whine up, and then drop off and finally take off. But my friend said the tach didn't move. So it seems my revs are flying up when that happens, so it's not the clutch. I honestly didn't think so because I've got no issues throwing it through gears or anything. One thing I noticed this morning is I don't hear my wastegate anymore. Could a faulty wastegate be the issue? I've got a rev D DV so I don't think its that, but it might be. Any ideas???

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
You say the tech said the yacht didn't move then say rpms fly up, which one is it?

Go 40 put it in 6th, mash the gas...report back.

The tach didn't move up, the engine just sounds like it is, but the needle doesn't move. Then it finally just takes off.

I'll do the 40 pull in 6th and let you know later tonight. Unfortunately have to do this whole work thing today. It just gets in the way lol