GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Washington D.C.

rpg11288

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
06 GTI BMP DSG
Hey i live in the Washington D.C. area and i was wondering what dealerships the you all bought them from. i am looking to buy a MKv in the next 2 months and want to find a good dealer in the area. I have only seen 2 driving around the area. so let me know where you all got them. Thanks

Hokietuner

Rally Car Newbie
rpg11288 said:
Hey i live in the Washington D.C. area and i was wondering what dealerships the you all bought them from. i am looking to buy a MKv in the next 2 months and want to find a good dealer in the area. I have only seen 2 driving around the area. so let me know where you all got them. Thanks

Stohlman, In tysons corner VA, hooked me up package 1, OTD 23,000

coolme187

Touring Car Champion
i got mine from fairfax vw, good price but bad customer service.

VW of springfield. not to bad. dealer told me me they were like the 2nd biggest dealer in country, not sure if its true, but i know they have a good bit of GTI's on the lot at the moment.

Hokietuner

Rally Car Newbie
If you're concerned bout customer service, stohlman was awesome, hooked me up, and they were real lax and down to earth. Lindsey VW in dulles was rated 2nd overall in the country last year for customer service, but wouldn't come 2K near the price that stohlman gave me, but the people at lindsey are real chill

rpg11288

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
06 GTI BMP DSG
Thanks for the input. I live in Bethesda so i am looking a little closer to maryland. VW College park and antwerpen up in Baltimore have a good selection. but Stohlman also has the one that i want. they all are around the same price so i will prob go to one of those three.

little side note, i saw a black GTI for sale on ebay and i asked who ever was selling it why they were and the response i got was "i'm rich and i dont need it." haha

lkw15

Passed Driver's Ed
I bought mine from Lindsay VW of Dulles...they gave me a good deal and the customer service was unbelievable. I can see I had a better experience purchasing from a VW dealer than I did buying my last car from a high end BMW dealer. If you need a salesperson, Tom Horton was great.

Billy4130

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
Bought mine from Springfield VW. Salesman was Chris Palmer, worked him for 3 hours but finally got the deal I wanted. Recommend them highly.

coolme187

Touring Car Champion
i was going to buy mine from lindsey vw, but they couldnt match the price i was looking for.

Hokietuner

Rally Car Newbie
coolme187 said:
i was going to buy mine from lindsey vw, but they couldnt match the price i was looking for.

Exactly, I had to work stohlman for the package 1 23K OTD, and then took that to lindsey, and they wouldn't touch it. But hey, if you want to spend money that you could use for suspension, or rims, or anything for that matter, to have you ass kissed, then more power to you (or less since you won't have any money to spend on extra mods)

tophmck

Buying a 2006 GTI MANUAL PKG 1 in the DC area

I'm a first time car buyer, so I thought I'd submit a detailed review to help others who are in the same boat. All the quotes below are for a 2006 GTI MANUAL PKG 1. Quotes don't include taxes, tags, and dealer's fees unless otherwise specified.

I bought my car from Tiara at Greenway's Alexandria VW. Did an inital round of requesting internet quotes using Edmunds and cars.com. Alexandria sent me the second lowest price ($23,052). More importantly, none of the other dealerships had a PKG1 manual in United Gray, and Alexandria was willing to locate the car AND match the lowest quote I'd gotten ($22,619). I sent out an e-mail to four dealerships and none undercut the price. So at that point I put down a $500 deposit and had them trade for the car.

After a few days other dealerships that I'd requested quotes from started contacting me. Oops! Twice these dealerships undercut the price I was getting at Alexandria, and both times Alexandria was willing to match the lower price (first $22,319 then $21,750). Considering that Alexandria had a good deal of leverage at that point, I was pretty pleased that they honored the promise on their website and actually matched prices from other dealers. (By leverage, I mean they could have withheld my $500 deposit if I backed out, not to mention the fact that none of the other dealerships actually had the United Gray in stock.)

Final price paid (purchase date was 4/29/06):

21750 -- MKV GTI 2006 Package 1 Manual
185 -- Monster Floormats
229 -- Dealer Processing Fee
-------
22164 -- Total Delivered Price (pre tax)

And for those of you who are interested in the post tax price:
44 -- Dealer's Business License Tax
1316 -- 6% DC Tax
170 -- License & Title Fee
-------
23694 -- Total Delivered Price (post tax)

So overall I had a good experience with the Alexandria VW dealership. The only complaints I had:

- they insisted that I buy the floormats -- said they couldn't remove them since they were listed on the window sticker. (Is this really a problem?) That said, I didn't fight too much, as I was on the fence about whether or not to get them anyhow.

- they have a high dealer fee ($229). This is higher than some of the other local dealers, and when they matched another quote, they wouldn't adjust for the fact the other dealer had a lower fee. For example, Ourisman VW only has a $99 dealer fee, so the car was $130 cheaper there even after Alexandria "matched" the price.

The major things I'd do differently:

- I'd try not to fall in love with a hard to find color and/or set of options. Having a dealer do the trade definitely made it harder to play hardball over the price, since they had that $500 deposit hanging over my head.

- I might have opted to do business with Rachael at Ourisman in Laurel, MD. There's another thread talking about how great she is, and I also had a good experience. She was low pressure and plain speaking. She started out with a strong offer (unfortunately this was after I'd put the deposit down), and she didn't use the high pressure tactics of some of the other dealers (see below). Not to bag on Alexandria -- Tiara was also relatively low pressure and was really patient with my never ending stream of stupid questions.

- Others in the crowd may be interested in doing business at the Fairfax VW dealership. They were sending me INSANELY low price quotes. They sent me the $21,750 quote that Alexandria ended up matching. Then after I closed my deal at Alexandria they sent me an e-mail saying they'd sell me the car for $19,999, and they'd even throw in tags and processing! I'm skeptical, as that sounds a little too good to be true. Still, may be worth a visit if you don't mind the high pressure sales tactics.

Last edited:

tophmck

Yeah, it doesn't come anywhere near $1500 under invoice. I mean, that's totally amazing! Still, as a first time buyer looking for a particular color and set of options, I was happy to get it below invoice at all.

I'm still curious about the crazy low offer I got from Fairfax after I closed the deal at Alexandria. I figured they were just yanking my chain. The e-mail was coy ("If we did ..., would you do the deal right now"), and the price just seemed to good to be true ($2,100 under invoice). But reading your story makes me think they may have been serious.

Also, I think there must have been a sales deadline at the end of April, as all the dealers started getting frantic right around the time I bought, and I'd been requesting quotes for a week or two.

hcr00

Passed Driver's Ed
Got mine from Lindsay VW of Dulles... VW of Springfield was shady, and after looking around at the other dealers got a good one from Lindsay. I love this car.