GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warranty Extension to 10/120k on PCV

crash331

Photographer
Car(s)
2008 GTI BM 4dr 6MT
Yeah that would be my first question - when was the last time your coils (if at all) were replaced? I'd definitely throw a new set of spark plugs in, at a minimum. Cheap enough thing to try, at least.

Original coils. Plugs probably have 45k on them so that probably has something to do with it.

Just took a plug out. Doesn't look abnormal to me. Think this could cause rough idle?

Last edited:

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
Rabbit GTI, how many miles does your car have now? Talking to an OG LOL.

I'm a few away from 70k. Doesn't get driven much anymore - my wife and I commute together into the city 3 days a week in her car and me having the 944 for the weekend = not a lot of mileage for the GTI. Hoping to get the full 10 years out of the Camshaft/fuel pump warranty and this one :biggrin: I'll be at 5 years on the 24th. Bought it Black Friday 2006.

Crash - I would just change the plugs anyway - I've made it a rule that I'm not going more than 40k miles on them, after what mine looked like at 50k miles. (The original maint. schedule said 60k for the early cars, and then it was changed to 40k - which is probably a good thing. Mine were so gunked up that I was getting misfires at 60-70 mph on the highway). If that doesn't help, take it in and mention your symptoms. I know there was finally a coil recall a few years ago, not sure if yours would still be up for free replacement if they were defective.

Who knows, though - it could still be your intake flapper.

crash331

Photographer
Car(s)
2008 GTI BM 4dr 6MT
Any idea if a rough idle will go away immediately with fresh plugs? Or does the ECU needs a bit to adapt? Just put fresh plugs in and I still have a rough idle.

May have to buy Vagcom again. I had one in the past, but sold it once I got the settings I needed and decided to stop tuning my daily driver.

porpoise hork

Ready to race!
Any idea if a rough idle will go away immediately with fresh plugs? Or does the ECU needs a bit to adapt? Just put fresh plugs in and I still have a rough idle.

May have to buy Vagcom again. I had one in the past, but sold it once I got the settings I needed and decided to stop tuning my daily driver.

If the plugs didn't fix it immidiately then it wasnt the plugs. Next step is to look at the coils. You could have a weak one causing the issue. It could also be a dirty MAF thats improperly metering the intake air volume, a minor vaccum leake, to a dirty or malfunctioning injector.

You really should find someone with VAG to run some logs on it to see what is going on.

mkvhaz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Just got my notice in the mail yesterday for the warranty extension. I've been having the intake mani flapper codes intermittently for over a year but they always seem to go away. Super stoked VOA is finally adressing this. I suppose this means I have to remove the catch can and the put the PCV back on even though it is totally unrelated to the issue. Never had PCV failure since I preemptively removed it.

Carfreak226

Detailer Extraordinaire
Car(s)
2007 GTI MKV
Got my letter! This with the DSG, and the Fuel pump extension, I'm totally covered on drivetrain!!

Kruderand

Custom User Title
Flap Motor

Thread Resurrection. I was having cutouts around 70 mph after a long drive in the heat. MIL came on, and I have it at the repair shop right now getting the flap motor replaced.

Also, I am getting this done at my trusted independent repair shop in Tulsa. I had no trouble getting another repair reimbursed that was fixed there (cam follower), do you all anticipate any reimbursement problems for this?

Last edited: