GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wakefield...Friday...anyone?

amrjon

Ready to race!
Nice in-car footage. Did you have the track to yourself?
I'm keen for one of these open track days if they are that quiet?

Last edited:

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
Yeah, was going to comment that the track looked very quiet.

If you can get a large enough group together, they might let all GTIs (or whoever is in the group) out in one go. We had about 10 MINIs at the track a while back. In the morning we were sharing the track with all comers, but there was an opportunity to split the group up after lunch which was great, no cowboys.

NGT10V

going, going, GONE
thanks for the comments.

there were about 10 of schnitzel's magna friends plus a few others. probably 15 cars in total at the day.

i was lucky enough to have the track to myself when i did those laps. the earlier laps were hampered by learning and traffic.

moomoonel

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
was your car too low?
I hear tyre rubbing the fender

NGT10V

going, going, GONE
was your car too low?
I hear tyre rubbing the fender

yeah the tyres were rubbing. schnitzel reckons its rubbing on the screws that attach the lining under the arches. i had a look today with the wheels off and there doesn't appear to be any damage/obvious signs of rubbing. the tyres aren't deformed in any way either.

i'm running 235/45R17s with it about half an inch lower than standard.

i'm not really concerned. do you reckon it's a problem?

WhiteJames

Fun Nazi
Car(s)
VW Golf GTI MKV
Tyre rubbing is a pain.

Similar thing when I had RS6 reps 18/8/ET45 *40/225 series rubber with Eibach ProKit springs lowering about same your NGT10V GTI. Went back to 18/7.5/ET51 with same tyres. My GTI rubs even with stock Denver wheels occasionally - very rarely though - bumps mid corners on hairpins with heaps on steering lock.

Video shows understeer - a good set of matched bars will fix that.
Looks rear a bit loose in first right hand high speed kink - maybe you were on the brakes mid corner.

Cheers
WJ

NGT10V

going, going, GONE
Tyre rubbing is a pain.

Looks rear a bit loose in first right hand high speed kink - maybe you were on the brakes mid corner.

Cheers
WJ

well spotted. yes i was braking just before i straightened up most laps. i had a hairy moment earlier on in the day where i broke late and ran wide. i figured i'd brake during the turn and the esp would take care of the rest - which it did.

brake oversteer helped at oran park though - particularly turn 2/3 of the short circuit. it's my friend.

Sammy-Blue

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 Golf R32
Hmm, do you need to register or need a special license to use the track? And do they allow P platers?

moomoonel

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
yeah the tyres were rubbing. schnitzel reckons its rubbing on the screws that attach the lining under the arches. i had a look today with the wheels off and there doesn't appear to be any damage/obvious signs of rubbing. the tyres aren't deformed in any way either.

i'm running 235/45R17s with it about half an inch lower than standard.

i'm not really concerned. do you reckon it's a problem?

235 will rub for sure

Schnitzel Baby

Bright shirt, dull mind
Car(s)
Golf MK5 GTi
Nicks right, it was a great day. I got there a bit late (around 10:00) but Nick was still swapping his wheels over until lunch time so I got a few runs in while he was doing that. Having just rotated my wheels the previous week, I knew exactly how much of a "pain in the arse" job it was!

So, it was my first time out in the GTI at Wakefield and my overall impression was that it's a good car for this type of track (tight and twisty). The single biggest weak point of the GTI is the diff. It need an LSD, torsen diff because it can't put the power down on off camber corners. There would be 2 seconds a lap improvement with an LSD. Really can't work out why they don't come standard.

The standard brakes are excellent and were up to the job, but if you're running standard pads, it's best to do no more than 4 laps before coming in for a cool down. That will also preserve your tyres.

Should have some photos soon so I'll post them when I get my hands on them.