GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wagner Tuning 2.0TFSI Intercooler -Install, Review and Performance Comparion

Perpetuus

Data Encryption
Im curious about the questions too, so I have submitted the questions to Wagner. I was told that it's their German engineering staff that answer the inquiries.

More than anything, I wonder if the black coating is simply paint, or a special thermal treatment to help reduce heat. It costs more to paint it black than to leave it a raw aluminium finish, so I suspect there were good reasons for this.

Perpetuus

Data Encryption
Wow, quick turnaround time!

---------------
Hello,

The intercoolers are painted and not powdercoated, the paint is a standard finish wet paint for metal and cast metal material. The weld I believe you are speaking about is the core weld.

Thank you,

Sincerely,
Wagner Tuning Inc.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Okay, so what's a "core weld"?

Perpetuus

Data Encryption
Ok, I got some more details.

I was told that the weld reinforces the core, and the paint is applied to help dissipate heat and prevent it from corrosion.

ptfern

Ready to race!
I ordered the same Wagner inter-cooler for my 2012 CC TSI KO4. I was about to order the APR equivalent but a friend told me about the Wagner piece which I never had heard of before. I was pleased to see your review on it.

So how do you feel about after it being on your car for some time now. I'm really looking forward to installing mine. I believe this inter-cooler with my Snow Performance stage2 meth kit should yield some nice results.

Any additional info on it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

initialGTI

Ready to race!
I also ordered mine recently. Hope to install it sooon!

Jerseynoob

Ready to race!
What is this 'pressure drop' that you mention?

I'm looking to upgrade my intercooler since I went K04, and I'm between APR and the Wagner.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
What is this 'pressure drop' that you mention?

I'm looking to upgrade my intercooler since I went K04, and I'm between APR and the Wagner.

Pressure drop is a function of the intercoolers resistance to flow and size. Less pressure drop is good because the turbo has to work less hard, having the nice benefit of lowering temperatures. Think about blowing into a tube or straw, the pressure in your mouth to drive it is higher than the outlet pressure, and has to be to drive air. Restrictive intercoolers create larger pressure drops. Laws of diminishing returns kick in with intercoolers that are too big. Straightening out the charge pipes with freer flowing units and free flow intake filters also help make the flow better for the turbo. Neuspeed free flow outlet charge pipe and their intake TB pipe make positive changes.

The Wagner looks good, and more reasonable price. I think upgrading the intercooler in the stock location rather than a front mount is the better choice.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
I wonder what the pressure drop of the APR and EJ cores is.

filthyillness

Passed Driver's Ed
Well who cares when clearly the Wagner intercooler is better and cheaper than EJ, APR and pretty much all other intercoolers in that bracket.

The real question is is this worth the $850 or should i save $400ish and go with a Precision 600hp intercooler?

Can cost per performance be matched?

You do get what you paid for but there is that gray area where some things are just to good to pass up.

And why are these intercoolers so expensive when some competitors offer similar qualitu products yet cost $100s less?

They spend too much time dickin the doodle and not enough listening to the consumers or the news on economic struggle effecting the consumer... Im done. I just needed to vent a bit there.

Albeit, ill end up with a Wagner as I've read a many reviews of satisfied enthusiasts and the proof is there so you just cant beat it.

Perhaps a sale will happen soon. Free shipping is nice and all but a discount code or sale would be better!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

FMX_DBC

Dirt Bike Craig
Car(s)
'06 Tornado Red GTI
Did you need longer bolts for the front clip like the APR install suggests? I just got an SPM and was hoping to install it this weekend.

Perpetuus

Data Encryption
Did you need longer bolts for the front clip like the APR install suggests? I just got an SPM and was hoping to install it this weekend.

You don't need the longer bolts. The longer bolts are used to help you temporarily slide out the radiator support for ease of access and reinstallation.

I managed to install mine by myself without using the longer bolts. Just have a jack ready, and a couple of boxes to rest the radiator support (intercooler, condenser, radiator) on.