GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

vw mk7 5 speed manual gearbox issue ?

ToniPeja

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Vw mk7 1.6 TDI
Does anyone had this issue, vw mk7 1.6 tdi 5 speed manual, there is a very loud clunk veq clutch is released also when driving and changing gears this clunk becomes even more loud mechanis are making me confuse none of them is suspecting in same issue, one of them is telling me gearbox is fault, another one is telling me axle is making this noise etc… I must mention that this thing started happening after clutch was replaced with same one as it was inside before SACHS

I ATTACHED THIS VIDEO ON THE LINK SO YOU CAN WATCH ABOUT WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Since this started immediately after the clutch was changed I wouldn't have accepted the car back until they fix it. I don't know how much time has passed since the work but you could be screwed now.

ToniPeja

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Vw mk7 1.6 TDI
Since this started immediately after the clutch was changed I wouldn't have accepted the car back until they fix it. I don't know how much time has passed since the work but you could be screwed now.
Honestly I didn’t notice this immediately maybe I thought it was there before but after some time I eas sure that this was not there before, so those guys that replaced the clutch are claiming that they did everything ok

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Honestly I didn’t notice this immediately maybe I thought it was there before but after some time I eas sure that this was not there before, so those guys that replaced the clutch are claiming that they did everything ok
I wouldn't expect them to say anything other than that they did it right. So did you ever notice this before the new clutch? Did you only notice it right after the new clutch?

ToniPeja

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Vw mk7 1.6 TDI
I wouldn't expect them to say anything other than that they did it right. So did you ever notice this before the new clutch? Did you only notice it right after the new clutch?
Honestly I don’t believe that this was there before clutch replacement, in the other side I don’t have any Idea what could be done wrong when they replaced the clutch because clutch is engaging and disengaging correctly there is no clutch slip, one more info If I release clutch slowly it doesn’t do that noise, also when changing gears and If I release clutch fast as I think it is normal it clunks, but Iif I wait for revs to drop while releasing clutch slowly it doesn’t clunk, Im so confused honestly.

Yesterdeay a mechanic told me this could be related to gearbox but the other one told me not but none of them are sure despite their inspection, also I don’t believe it is related to gearbox because it change gears as a butter, well I don’t know whats going on with this car

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
It doesn't seem normal to me. You can expect some clunking from the dualmass flywheel, but that's usually only when you're moving and at like idle speeds. That also doesn't sound like the flywheel clunking around to me. I'm not sure what it could be though.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Nothing we can say then. I guess drive it and hope nothing breaks or pay to have it taken apart to find what's wrong.

ToniPeja

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Vw mk7 1.6 TDI
It doesn't seem normal to me. You can expect some clunking from the dualmass flywheel, but that's usually only when you're moving and at like idle speeds. That also doesn't sound like the flywheel clunking around to me. I'm not sure what it could be though.
Mine is not dual mass flywheel

ToniPeja

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Vw mk7 1.6 TDI
Nothing we can say then. I guess drive it and hope nothing breaks or pay to have it taken apart to find what's wrong.
After new year I’m gonna deal with this again and at least I will ask e mechanic to remove gearbox and check if clutch has any issue, I’ll keep you updated thanx for trying to help !

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Mine is not dual mass flywheel
I see. I'm not familiar with the 1.6, so what I say may not be all that helpful. I'm not sure how similar it is to the 2.0s we get.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Engine or trans mount could have rattled loose if not torqued properly.

This happened to my new 92 GTI. Engine tried to escape through the hood one morning. Fun times.

ToniPeja

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Vw mk7 1.6 TDI
Engine or trans mount could have rattled loose if not torqued properly.

This happened to my new 92 GTI. Engine tried to escape through the hood one morning. Fun times.
I recently replaced transmission mount made from FEBI, but issue remains, if this would happen when car is in motion I would suspect in all mounts but when it occurs when stationary as you can see in video than this makes me confuse, and I don’t want to give money for part replacements because mechanics in my country never give you 100% reaponse what’s the problem they like to try things..

Last edited: