GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW Customer Care, any success stories? (Cam follower failure)

radiohead1075

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Cam follower is destroyed, service manager said it's one of the worst they've seen. Yet no love for us 2008 FSI owners.

Called VW customer care, only offer was 1,000 for a new VW.

104,000 miles, original owner. Car was properly serviced, oil changed every 5k with the specified oil.

Any way to appeal to the VW regional manager? What to do next?

At the very least, I may reluctantly get rid of the car if I can't get VW fix their negligence to this issue.

(Timing belt, DSG service, new tires were going to be done shortly, don't feel confident sinking that much money into the car at this point.)

Dutchy

Go Kart Champion
Oil was changed every 5k but you didn't change cam follower? Were you not aware of the problem?

radiohead1075

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
2008 is not included on the warranty extension, currently that is only for '06 @ '07 models.

To clarify, $1,000 credit towards new VW was what was offered.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
2008 is not included on the warranty extension, currently that is only for '06 @ '07 models.

To clarify, $1,000 credit towards new VW was what was offered.

Okay, that's what I thought.. But you never know lol. I was going to say why are you even posting about this, go get yourself a new GTI

Dutchy

Go Kart Champion
VW tends to fuck over 2008 owners. What's the repair estimate for the damage?

radiohead1075

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Was quoted $2,500.

That was just for the cam shaft and fuel pump, who knows if there is more damage than that without tearing apart the engine.

Dutchy

Go Kart Champion
Was quoted $2,500.

That was just for the cam shaft and fuel pump, who knows if there is more damage than that without tearing apart the engine.

This is so angering. There's no way for a regular VW owner to know about this problem unless they visit forums and search it out. Volkswagen really should have a better policy for problems like this, or at least extend the warranty to all FSI engines. Why stop with 2006/7?

radiohead1075

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
This is so angering. There's no way for a regular VW owner to know about this problem unless they visit forums and search it out. Volkswagen really should have a better policy for problems like this, or at least extend the warranty to all FSI engines. Why stop with 2006/7?

I am very frustrated at the moment for all the obvious reasons.

Car was in like new condition, not a scratch on it, but with a damaged engine it is now worthless.

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
Call vwoa. I had the dealer deny a few things and vwoa made them fix it.

gmmills

South African
Car(s)
CW GTI
Be a dick put a new follower in and sell the car.. That's how I got mine sold to me. I have an 07 though so I got the warranty..

CW08DSG

I don't care.
Car(s)
08 GTI 2dr DSG
'08 FSI here. Had the typical issues, and had the HPFP replaced under warranty, along with a new follower. Pictures showed slight signs of wear on the cam, and I didn't want to simply delay the destruction of the cam, so I pushed the dealer to go to bat for me in regards to replacement. VOA first denied the request, but the dealer kept pushing and pushing. I then contacted VOA and started a claim. This got the regional rep involved, who visited the dealer and finally authorized the cam replacement.

All this with them knowing the car was tuned.

Your results may vary, but it does suck that they're giving you grief over this, especially in light of you being the original owner.

Best of luck, hope you're able to get some resolution.

And to clarify the process - dealers don't approve or deny warranty claims - manufacturers dictate this to the dealer.

Last edited: