GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Volkswagn 2009 Dakar Winners

nafets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 VW GOLF R32
Volkswagen has won the 2009 Dakar Rally with a 1-2 finish!!!
With Giniel de Villiers and Co-Driver Dirk von Zitzewitz first & Mark Miller & Co-DriverRalph Pitchford Second in a Volkswagen Race Touareg
People who are not familar with the Dakar, it started in 1979 its a gruelling rally that is held over 2weeks and almost 6,000km of stages, with motobikes, Quadbikes, car and Trucks competing. More info have a look at the kinks below.

http://www.volkswagen-motorsport.com/web/news/index.php?&flash=ok&lg=e&st=311&id=2617
http://www.dakar.com/2009/DAK/presentation/us/r3_5-le-parcours.html

Cheers Stef :thumbsup:

zz2

VAG expert
Car(s)
GTI V
runner up was team Camel

actually i have to admit i love watching the Dakar everytime this year. VW did great. shame bloody Team Hummer came in 2nd

Jethro41

Volkswagenista!!
Car(s)
VW GOLF V GTI
1st, 2nd and 6th in fact ...would have been a clean sweep 1,2,3 if Carlos didn't crash out on the 2nd last real stage.

It's a huge win for 'Das Auto'... they've been trying for a couple of years to pants Mitsubishi on the Dakar, and this year they did it! :happyanim:

It was interesting to see the Mitsbishi "Lancer's" hit the stages this year. :rolleyes:

Jethro41

Volkswagenista!!
Car(s)
VW GOLF V GTI
I didn't know he crashed out. Bugger.

Yeah...not pretty either...and he wasn't happy..apparently the road book wasn't up to scratch.

I love the guy, but I gotta ask if there was a problem with the road book why was his the only vehicle in the ditch????

His co-driver had a shoulder injury but the man himself seemed ok.

GP_GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Yeah...not pretty either...and he wasn't happy..apparently the road book wasn't up to scratch.

I love the guy, but I gotta ask if there was a problem with the road book why was his the only vehicle in the ditch????

His co-driver had a shoulder injury but the man himself seemed ok.

Another competitor would have landed on top of him if there hadn't been a couple of people around yelling for him to stop. I think it might have been the last Mitsubishi.

When a man with his experience says there's a problem with the road book, there is. The cliff was apparently flagged as a small ditch.

Jethro41

Volkswagenista!!
Car(s)
VW GOLF V GTI
3rd try.

He is a very experienced campaigner, but, as much as it pains me to say it, of late he's been making some judgment errors then blaming the tools when it all goes west.

Quote from his co-driver:

A sign marking the turn read "dangerous" but should have read "extremely dangerous," said Perin, according to the Dakar Rally website."

When you have a 29 odd minute lead and you're on the second to last real stage of the Dakar, you probably should treat every dangerous call as "extremely" dangerous.

Ah well there is always next year...he's still got a few left in him... and it'd be great to see him pick one or two up. :thumbsup:

Zorgonda

Drives using The Force
Just in case you guys were interested, I thought I would post some pics I took of the Winning VW. These cars sounded wicked and the sound of the turbos spooling up was insane. It was pretty cool having some of the cars roaming around the streets of Buenos Aires after the race. They were even parked on the streets. Even the big red Man truck was driving around.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 145
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    223.4 KB · Views: 148

Jethro41

Volkswagenista!!
Car(s)
VW GOLF V GTI
Thanks Zoegonda...Nice pics