GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Volkswagen Alloy Wheel Center Cap

nafets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 VW GOLF R32
Hi Guys,
I'm just wanting to get an idea of how many of you have had too replace the center cap on your alloy wheels? I've had to replace 3 in 20,000kms on my R32 which mite not sound many but it really shouldn't happen. My local VW dealer parts interpreter told me one customer has purchased 14 for his GTi, they tell me he brake's hard & the heat generated weakens them. The warranty department at this dealership would not cover them is what i picked up. Most of my driving is long distance, i do have a tendency to brake hard but its not every brake application & i have had to replace the back wheel caps as well

Attachments

• RIMG0567-1.jpg
    RIMG0567-1.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 2,049
  • RIMG0569-1.jpg
    RIMG0569-1.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 1,980
  • RIMG0572-1.jpg
    RIMG0572-1.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 1,938
  • RIMG0575-1.jpg
    RIMG0575-1.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 1,999
  • RIMG0578-1.jpg
    RIMG0578-1.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 1,944

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
A track day, lots of hard driving and just over three years and never replaced one.

bazzle

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MY08 R32 Silver 3dr
Those break marks on the plastic are not from expansion and contraction but from physical force.
The white marks gave me the clues.

Bazzle

buckets

Ready to race!
I think you're onto something there bazzle. Looks like someone might have been turned loose with a screwdriver.

RooGT

I've lost, and replaced, 5 off our older 2003 Mk4 2.0 Sport. I have ended up putting a few dobs of silicone sealer on them to hold them in. Strong enough to stick, weak enough to knock out from the inside when needed.

They look almost identical in design to these.

Haven't lost any off the GT Sport in 18 months though.

REDMKVGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Are you being careful when you put them in (eg putting them in straight)?

Are the insides of the wheel nice and clean (no debris to cause damage)?

Are you cursed or in line for any bad karma?

Looks like something is breaking them, maybe when they tyres are rotated/balanced/replaced for some reason?

FWIW I haven't lost any off my car (I know you have the R32, probably with different wheels)...

iluvbrownale

White Lightning
Who's to say someone else isn't trying to prise them off? Seeing as everything 80's is back again, perhaps the local kids are looking for vee dub emblems again.
Maybe I'm just showing my age....

buckets

Ready to race!
You know you're getting old when you see stuff you once considered daggy coming back into fashion! :biggrin:

buckets

Ready to race!
I have never been anywhere near the wheels with a screwdriver! I've fitted the caps i had to replace & i was very careful replacing them.

I didn't necessarily mean you. could be anyone.....Kids from the neighbourhood, apprentice mechanic, Tyre fitter(s), Gremlins........

tinto

bitch please
Car(s)
2009 Pirelli GTI
Yeah they've been slapped in when installed, not worn out by heat.
I've seen them snap like that if they're not being inserted absolutely straight.

One was on a set of wheels I had just sold and was giving the guy the caps - he just belted one in and smashed off two tabs...

I'd like to say I said - YOU BREAK IT YOU BOUGHT IT.
but he'd already bought them, so it seemed moot.

nafets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 VW GOLF R32
I think I've made a small step forward today with the dealership, They want to take photo's & measurement of the wheels to forward a case to VW. Its not much but its a start, now the thing is arranging to get to the dealership which is 60km away. Will try and post the results.

Cheers Stef

iluvbrownale

White Lightning
statutory warranties apply equally to vehicles so if it's not fit for the purpose, refund/replacement time. it would be reasonable to seek replacement and have the stealer fit them and then should any fault arise, you can't be culpable.