GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Very hard cold starts

Ronan1

Ready to race!
Bumping this - I've had the same issue for about 4/5 years. Original owner, 146k miles on the car now. Replaced plugs, coil packs, battery, carbon cleaning everything, even the HPFP, but not the LPFP.

At this point I don't think it could be anything else since I've replaced everything but the LPFP.

DeepBlue

Ready to race!
Bumping this - I've had the same issue for about 4/5 years. Original owner, 146k miles on the car now. Replaced plugs, coil packs, battery, carbon cleaning everything, even the HPFP, but not the LPFP.

At this point I don't think it could be anything else since I've replaced everything but the LPFP.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. New LPFP did not resolve my issue.

I've also ruled out MAF, air filter and corroded negative battery lead. Car does seem to start better now though. Although I believe that its due to me starting it every day for the past few weeks and not letting it sit around for a number of days without use.

Next steps... Sadly diagnosing automotive issues these days seems to be a lost art and I'm leary of financing further guess work. Still, wondering if a throttle body cleaning is in order. Will also likely switch to another brand of gas.

Check out the video in my post above your reply for a few other ideas. Specifically go to 5:10.

Moodilic

Hi DeepBlue!

I have a similar issue with my cold starts and I found this video on youtube illustrating the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLIiWU-r3Sk

All I have changed is the cam follower and the low pressure sensor (on the hpfp).

I saw your other post about corrosion on the battery terminal and I don't have any issue there.

Have you gotten any wiser about this isse of yours/ours?

DeepBlue

Ready to race!
Hi DeepBlue!

I have a similar issue with my cold starts and I found this video on youtube illustrating the same.

All I have changed is the cam follower and the low pressure sensor (on the hpfp).

I saw your other post about corrosion on the battery terminal and I don't have any issue there.

Have you gotten any wiser about this issue of yours/ours?

Still working on it. My shop wants another crack at it. I'm not super enthusiastic about that for obvious reasons.

Generally speaking, car has been better lately. Maybe its one of the items I did or possibly just the fact that I start it at least once per day now. Before it could sit around for half a week.

One thing I did notice is that it starts better if I turn it right over instead of waiting a few secs. Will do that moving forward.

DeepBlue

Ready to race!
Man, do I dread these sort of issues. Especially stuff that takes a cold start just to flush out.

Seem like we got a bunch of people suffering with same sort of symptoms right here on this thread which may or may not be caused by same problem.

Where does one find a real indie mechanic these days willing and able to troubleshoot as opposed to just waiting for codes to be served up on a silver platter.

I'm guessing I'll probably end up getting rid of the car before this crap ever gets fixed.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
These issues sometimes take throwing everything at it. Compression teat and then going after all the usual suspects. It gets frustrating when you try something and then something else.

ShadowSplicer

Independent AMSOIL Dealer
Car(s)
Candy White .:R32

Well that sounds like mine, when it sits for more than 24 hours + is relatively cold out. Don't like that concept. Haven't done a valve/intake cleaning yet, (just tried Seafoam in the MAF again, seemed to help a bit), and don't know when it was done last (bought the car at 129k). Figured that was the cause, but now I'm a bit concerned. :23:

Any luck, DeepBlue?

larcic

Ready to race!
my lpfp is newish and it seems to take forever to prime. If I wait for it to be done priming it usually starts alot better. its like a really faint and long beeeeep. I still get bad cold starts sometimes when waiting for it to prime but my valves havent been cleaned in 103k miles

DeepBlue

Ready to race!
Just wanted to leave a final update.

Hard cold start issue is no longer evident. Issue was resolved by treating 3 full tanks with Lucas Oil Products Fuel Treatment.

https://goo.gl/o98fEH

Overall performance is much improved, akin to getting a tuneup. No issues with starts cold or warm. In fact, car starts like new every time. Also, fuel economy is way up. I will likely run it in every other tank for the time being.

Just wanted to let you guys know. I was skeptical of additives in general, but this stuff really does work.

Last edited:

Qwoz

Roflcopter pilot
Car(s)
08 GTI
Just wanted to leave a final update.

Hard cold start issue is no longer evident. Issue was resolved by treating 3 full tanks with Lucas Oil Products Fuel Treatment.

https://goo.gl/o98fEH

Overall performance is much improved, akin to getting a tuneup. No issues with starts cold or warm. In fact, car starts like new every time. Also, fuel economy is way up. I will likely run it in every other tank for the time being.

Just wanted to let you guys know. I was skeptical of additives in general, but this stuff really does work.

For serious? I did not see that coming. Is the stuff you are using akin to techron concentrated fuel system cleaner ?

If this is what solved the problem, it must have been build up on the injector heads. As far as I know, that is the only thing that can really get gunked up on these direct injection engines that these additives would come in contact with.

My car is getting a manual carbon cleaning done later this month, I will let you guys know how that ends up. If that $700 job doesn't do it, I'll opt for the 7$ bottle of fuel additive lol :bellyroll:.

Qwoz

Roflcopter pilot
Car(s)
08 GTI
Would really love to hear if this still seems to have solved your problem. I just had the carbon cleaning done, replaced the low pressure fuel pump... and now it almost seems to start worse. I am so over trying to solve this problem, and my P0087 low fuel pressure code isn't gone from replacing the fuel pump either.

I ordered a few bottles of this stuff on amazon tonight, will report back with the results.

DeepBlue

Ready to race!
Was far better for a while but sadly, issue started to return recently. Now almost as bad as it ever was. Not really up for throwing major funds at this PIA. A number of items I will likely check out as a DIY are fuel pump relay and fuel pump control module. Both are relatively cheap and easy to get at.

My main lead at this point is lack of fuel pump priming noise when driver's door is opened. Door switch is working fine since I get dome lights and door open indication on MFD.