GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Veloster N

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Saw this at the dealership I bought our new to us Suburban from.

That’s it, just figured I’d share lol

It looks like they literally bought a gti and reverse engineered it as far as powertrain and suspension goes. I’m sure it’s a pile of crap, just like my wife’s aweful Kia Sorento we’re turning in this week (lease, no I didn’t approve lol).

daisoma

Passed Driver's Ed
Saw this at the dealership I bought our new to us Suburban from.

That’s it, just figured I’d share lol

It looks like they literally bought a gti and reverse engineered it as far as powertrain and suspension goes. I’m sure it’s a pile of crap, just like my wife’s aweful Kia Sorento we’re turning in this week (lease, no I didn’t approve lol).
Don't hate. Hyundai is legit now. Haven't tested one but from the reviews I've read it drives really well. They hired ex BMW m division people to make this car what it is

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Don't hate. Hyundai is legit now. Haven't tested one but from the reviews I've read it drives really well. They hired ex BMW m division people to make this car what it is

They hired ex BMW guy Albert Biermann, although he mainly designed the i30N, then those design elements were applied to the velosterN, he didn’t actually work on it as such! Either way he knows what he’s doing! Think M3 and M5 in particular.., the trouble with the Hyundai i30N however is that it reminds me too much of the Peugeot 308GTi and Peugeot’s are built badly, and I mean BADLY! both of them are quick but they are nowhere close to VW’s fit and finish and their value drops like a stone!.

https://youtu.be/wMUlPRvkdys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mesaboogie18

Ready to race!
I've owned two VWs and two Hyundais. I've enjoyed driving them all. Hyundai has come a long, long way from the days of the Excel. While not at the same level as VW in the interior department, they are far from crap. You get a lot of features and a 10 year warranty at a lower price point to boot. The day the i30N comes to the U.S. is the day I stop buying GTIs.

Hoon

Autocross Champion

My coworker bought a new Tucson last year...

The transmission overheats if she gets stuck in traffic on warm days.

Hyundai is soooo legit. Lol.

mesaboogie18

Ready to race!
My coworker bought a new Tucson last year...

The transmission overheats if she gets stuck in traffic on warm days.

Hyundai is soooo legit. Lol.

Your coworker doesn't know how to drive with the DCT, which operates more like a MT than an AT. Your coworker is likely inching forward in traffic, which is causing the DCT to feather the clutch continuously, causing it to overheat. Sounds like they should trade in for an actual automatic since they don't know how a DCT works.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Your coworker doesn't know how to drive with the DCT, which operates more like a MT than an AT. Your coworker is likely inching forward in traffic, which is causing the DCT to feather the clutch continuously, causing it to overheat. Sounds like they should trade in for an actual automatic since they don't know how a DCT works.

Hundreds of thousands of people driving DCT cars do this every commute. You think most people have the slightest idea that their DCT isn't a normal auto? Build a trans that can't cool itself the way 90% of Hyundai owners will drive it. Bravo Hyundai!

Of course it has nothing to do with the 7 speed DCT just being a giant pile of shit. They've had 3 years to straighten it out, a recall, and the new ones still have the same issues with vibration and dangerous lapses in acceleration.

Read the following quoted directly from ABC News:

“Hyundai is recalling about 41,000 small SUVs in the U.S. because a software glitch can stop the vehicles from accelerating.

The recall came after pressure from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. It covers 2016 Tucson models with seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmissions made from May 20, 2015 to May 31, 2016.

Hyundai says it started getting reports in June that the engines would rev but the SUVs wouldn't move after coming to a stop. The problem was intermittent and often didn't repeat itself, the company said in government documents.

Engineers traced the problem to the transmission control computer that monitors driving to refine gear shifting. If the gas pedal is repeatedly cycled, the Tucson's may not accelerate, increasing the risk of a crash.

Hyundai at first sent a service bulletin to dealers but decided to do a recall after meeting with the safety agency on Aug. 10.
The recall began Sept. 7. Dealers will reprogram the transmission computer.”

Wherefore Art Thou Hyundai Quality?"

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I second this. Having just spent three years with a Kia/Hyundai product the quality might not be as bad as before, but it’s still far from good.

My wife’s Sorento had plenty of issues outside of being a turd.

Probably the most laughable was the recent recall to turn up knock sensor sensitivity because rod knock is a common issue with the 2.4L. Apparently they’d prefer to tow it with a spun beating than a windowed block...I had to sign a paper saying we’d stop driving it as soon as safely possible if excessive knock or the associated dash warning was indicated.

Good fix lol, we know it’s gonna blow up just try to keep it contained.

Other notables

-blown door speakers (took 6 dealer visits to resolve)

-bent rear lower control arm from normal driving (had to request alignment afterwards)

-free oil change at dealership resulted in oil leak (drain plug and filter...go team)

-transfer case leak I reported, they disagreed and said it was an axle seal. After attempting to replace the axle seal the called and said “hey the transfer case is leaking, we need to keep it and order parts”. Mind you, this is after I had to wait for them to originally order the axle seal lol

The lease return pre inspection is today between noon and five at our home. Car has 36k on it.

Meanwhile my gti has 70k and is about due for wiper blades. Otherwise outside of mods it’s only had fluid changes and tires. We took ownership of both December 22 2015

Last edited:

Dan00Hawk

Go Kart Newbie
I like the fact that more competition from other manufacturers will force VW to keep making improvements to the GTI.

We only owned a used 2011 Kia Sportage (former rental) from 30k to 60k, but had zero problems with it during that time frame.

H

Huntermike

In 2 years it will be less than 1/2 price. Then snatch them up.

mesaboogie18

Ready to race!
Wherefore Art Thou Hyundai Quality?"

Meh. The DCT issue was addressed via a software fix. The rest is people not understanding how a DCT works and maybe that wasn't a good move for Hyundai, but being a MT guy, I find that it drives wonderfully. Every car has issues. Some more than others. I mean, I'd rather have an overheated transmission that can be fixed with a software flash than a turbo that's unbalanced from the factory and grenades the engine. In my experience, Hyundais have been very reliable and VWs have been less so.

You want to talk about quality? My 2017 GTI was in the dealership for warranty work 4 times by 3K miles. My 2017 Tucson with 23K miles hasn't seen the dealership aside from oil changes. Same for my wife's 2015 Sonata with 35K miles. My old 2005 Elantra had zero issues as well. Can't say the same for either of my GTIs.

But to stay on track, yeah, the Veloster N is pretty neat.

Mike-E

Go Kart Newbie
My wife's DD is a 2011 Hyundai Veloster. There were a few glitches with the infotainment system early on. But they were fixed and she has never had a mechanical issue with it.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
I know some will like, and it's a signature color, but that Performance Blue doesn't look all that, uh, "performancey".

Veloster is more of a novelty to me, but if the i30N makes it over, then I'll be more interested in the funny H cars.

Last edited:

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
They hired ex BMW guy Albert Biermann, although he mainly designed the i30N, then those design elements were applied to the velosterN, he didn’t actually work on it as such! Either way he knows what he’s doing! Think M3 and M5 in particular.., the trouble with the Hyundai i30N however is that it reminds me too much of the Peugeot 308GTi and Peugeot’s are built badly, and I mean BADLY! both of them are quick but they are nowhere close to VW’s fit and finish and their value drops like a stone!.

https://youtu.be/wMUlPRvkdys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only meaningful difference between the I30 N and the Veloster N are the respective body shells. Platform wise they are identical (even down to the factory choice of tire).

So in terms of road mannerisms and performance you're absolutely getting Beerman's intended vision.