GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Valve guide seals?

Latron

Master of oil top off
Car(s)
2015 GTI DSG
So I have been searching the forums and I'm pretty sure my valve seals are bad. I have smoke on high vacuum (decelerating from speed) and when I accelerate after if I do not stop and sit for a second. However I do not have smoke on cold start and its only after my car has warmed up. Does this still sound like valve seals to you guys? I know turbo seals are normally smoke all the time and especially on boost and rings are the same all the time for the most part. Just trying to get all the info I can before I tear into my engine.
I have a 2008 GTI FSI (BPY) DSG. It has 110,xxx miles on it too.
Thanks

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
First, you want to eliminate it possibly being the valve cover. But yes, it does seem to be seals and guides. But you will want to be ready to address piston rings as well.

I went through all of this years ago at 120k miles. I discovered my valve cover was no longer sealed inside and I replaced it. If this is all that is wrong, it is due to oil being able to go into the PCV to turbo passage that runs through the valve cover. So, after the v-cover was replaced, it still smoked when coasting or on acceleration after I stopped. I removed the head to have new seals and guides put in and saw that the 3 and 4 combustion chambers were covered in oil(pic below). So we removed those piston and discovered a compression ring was stuck in its groove on the piston #4. So I replaced that piston, all rings, and con-rod bearings.

Here is my vid on the splash plate no longer sealing;

Here's a pic of its head and the oily 3&4 combustion chambers;

Even though I discovered the splash plate in the valve cover was no longer completely sealed, it wasn't so bad to allow much if any oil into the turbo inlet. But some splash plates are found to be much more dislodged and can be the sole source of the smoke from the exhaust and why I say determine its condition first before going straight to the valve seals and guides.

Latron

Master of oil top off
Car(s)
2015 GTI DSG
Yeah I am already looking at doing the rings at the same time when I pull the head off. I have actually watched your video and read your post on that. I replaced my valve cover about 10 months ago and have gone through and replaced the PCV system. I wish I had the money to drop in some good rods and go KO4 but that will have to be at a later time lol. I am going to pull the plugs here soon and scope the pistons just to get a look before. Thanks for the reply.

Latron

Master of oil top off
Car(s)
2015 GTI DSG
I removed the head to have new seals and guides put in and saw that the 3 and 4 combustion chambers were covered in oil(pic below). So we removed those piston and discovered a compression ring was stuck in its groove on the piston #4. So I replaced that piston, all rings, and con-rod bearings.
When you did all of that did you use the OEM rings? And did you hone/de-glaze the cylinders? What did you do for the Break in period after the rebuild?

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
When you did all of that did you use the OEM rings? And did you hone/de-glaze the cylinders? What did you do for the Break in period after the rebuild?
Yes, oem rings and rod bearings were used. I didn't touch the cylinders as they looked fine. Rod upgrade for a K04 isn't really necessary, but I get wanting to for piece of mind. With the pistons removed, you may see small sections in the cylinder that appear polished by the piston skirts. You may want to hone them to add cross-hatch again.

Mine is at 363 lb*ft and the oem rods have held up. People go APR Stage 3 BT with stock rods, so the rods will likely be safe up to near 400 lb*ft.