GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VAGCOM/VCDS available in DFW

ZiRiS

Sergeant
Car(s)
'09 BMP GTI
So I found a VCDS cable for sale in the classifieds on this very forum. I get that rest of this post kind of belongs in the classifieds, but I wanted to post here in the South West area, next to my other post mentioning VAGCOM, so it can be seen that I now have a VCDS cable.

I am (usually) available weekends if someone in the DFW area needs VAGCOM work done. Just pm me and we'll work something out.

Conversely, if someone wants to get together for coffee to discuss MKV's or VW's in general, please use this thread to come up with a location.
DFW is sorely lacking in a VW or GTI community and I'd like to see one resurrected. If that means I have to start it, so be it. Let's do this!

ZiRiS

Sergeant
Car(s)
'09 BMP GTI
Hey do you know anybody that does fender rolling by any chance?
I'm sorry, I have no idea off the top of my head who might be able to do that. 25 years ago, I would have been able to recommend someone but they're long retired and dead by now. The shop, if it's even still around, was Inwood Paint & Body down on Inwood road, pretty far south, iirc. The owner, who is now dead, mind you, used to race air-cooled VW's in the 60's & 70's. It's possible, I suppose, they might be able to do it, but having zero contact with them since the 90's, I honestly have no idea if they do, or even would, or not. I'm sorry, I also have no phone number for them, either, as I'm on mobile atm.
Good luck in your search!

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

ZiRiS

Sergeant
Car(s)
'09 BMP GTI
I'm sorry, I have no idea off the top of my head who might be able to do that. 25 years ago, I would have been able to recommend someone but they're long retired and dead by now. The shop, if it's even still around, was Inwood Paint & Body down on Inwood road, pretty far south, iirc. The owner, who is now dead, mind you, used to race air-cooled VW's in the 60's & 70's. It's possible, I suppose, they might be able to do it, but having zero contact with them since the 90's, I honestly have no idea if they do, or even would, or not. I'm sorry, I also have no phone number for them, either, as I'm on mobile atm.
Good luck in your search!

It looks like, after a little googling, the shop is no longer around. I'm sorry, I honestly don't know any other body shops in Dallas that might be trustworthy. Let me know if you find one, though, I'm in need of a full repainting. The previous owner of my current GTI was not gentle with it.

high_octane3541

Go Kart Champion
X2 on dfdubs.

The site creator died yesterday :(

You're just not lookin in the right places for the vw community. There's a TON of people. I myself am located in McKinney

ZiRiS

Sergeant
Car(s)
'09 BMP GTI
X2 on dfdubs.

The site creator died yesterday :(

You're just not lookin in the right places for the vw community. There's a TON of people. I myself am located in McKinney
That's awful to hear about dfdubs site creator. I offer my condolences.

So...where SHOULD I be looking? And don't say facebook. I don't have a facebook. I don't like facebook and have no desire to create one. There's got to be some other place to look. That can't really be the ONLY place for VWers to congregate online...can it?

high_octane3541

Go Kart Champion
That's awful to hear about dfdubs site creator. I offer my condolences.

So...where SHOULD I be looking? And don't say facebook. I don't have a facebook. I don't like facebook and have no desire to create one. There's got to be some other place to look. That can't really be the ONLY place for VWers to congregate online...can it?

Yeah he had a brain hemorrhage :/

Lol I got off Facebook a few years ago and my friends give me shit for it.

But that does seem to be the place where most of the weekly g2g's are arranged. There is going to be a show at the vw dealership here in McKinney next month though.

realslimnatey

Passed Driver's Ed
OMG. I had no idea about the creator of dfdubs passing away! I was just mentioning the site. That's such terrible news. :(

I got a quote for fender rolling from Jose https://www.instagram.com/josesautobody/ but I didn't pull the trigger because of other obligations at the time. I'm just looking for someone with the tool and a heat gun to do it for me at a cheapo price. On the other hand, I guess I can just rent the tool myself and try it.

ZiRiS

Sergeant
Car(s)
'09 BMP GTI
Just FYI, I want to give a shoutout to The Lord of the Rings here in DFW. He's primarily an Audi shop, but works on VW's, too. He does really quality work, but he can get kind of pricey. My DV just went out and he quoted me $150-$200 for parts and labor to replace it. If I want him to do diagnostics, too, to make sure it is indeed the DV, it'll be around $300. I feel like that's not a bad price considering the prices I saw on ECS Tuning for parts alone.

The reason I'm having him do it and I'm not doing it myself is because of the location of the DV. I can't get under the car, and don't have a lift or any other way of raising the vehicle to a height where I might be able to safely get under it. A jack stand from the trunk is not a safe method to hold the vehicle up while I crawl under it. It's fine for lifting it up high enough for me to change a wheel for the spare, but I wouldn't trust it to crawl under it.

Anyways, for engine needs that you just don't want to F with, and you don't trust any local dealers, take it to The Lord of the Rings.

high_octane3541

Go Kart Champion
Just FYI, I want to give a shoutout to The Lord of the Rings here in DFW. He's primarily an Audi shop, but works on VW's, too. He does really quality work, but he can get kind of pricey. My DV just went out and he quoted me $150-$200 for parts and labor to replace it. If I want him to do diagnostics, too, to make sure it is indeed the DV, it'll be around $300. I feel like that's not a bad price considering the prices I saw on ECS Tuning for parts alone.

The reason I'm having him do it and I'm not doing it myself is because of the location of the DV. I can't get under the car, and don't have a lift or any other way of raising the vehicle to a height where I might be able to safely get under it. A jack stand from the trunk is not a safe method to hold the vehicle up while I crawl under it. It's fine for lifting it up high enough for me to change a wheel for the spare, but I wouldn't trust it to crawl under it.

Anyways, for engine needs that you just don't want to F with, and you don't trust any local dealers, take it to The Lord of the Rings.

PM me on here or on my Instagram Account (high_octane3541)

$150-200 is a bit much, but probably because he has a lot of overhead to cover.

I do a lot of work on the local cars from my home so my labor is pretty cheap. Over the past weekend I did a turbo install, wheel bearing, lowering springs and fmic.

Let me know if I can help

ZiRiS

Sergeant
Car(s)
'09 BMP GTI
PM me on here or on my Instagram Account (high_octane3541)

$150-200 is a bit much, but probably because he has a lot of overhead to cover.

I do a lot of work on the local cars from my home so my labor is pretty cheap. Over the past weekend I did a turbo install, wheel bearing, lowering springs and fmic.

Let me know if I can help
Pm sent. Tyvm!

realslimnatey

Passed Driver's Ed
I did the DV myself and can agree the location is sort of a pain in the ass. Everything is smooth up until the damn top bolt. I lifted the front end up and put jack stands under and was able to have enough clearance to do the job.