GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VACOM

Parky

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi guys i need help and access to VACOM. I have an APR stage2+ GTI mkv and my Menu button on the right of the steering wheel (switihng between audio/trip info) does not work. Instead of going to the dealer and risk the chance of voiding my warranty for good or other future major warranty work, I have read that its best taken care of through VACOM.

So can any kind forum member in Sydney help me out ?

TDI_DSG

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK5
i have a cable that we can use on the car, but i have no idea where to look for that function.

you are welcome to come over on the weekend (merrylands west)
and have a look though.

could also scan for any fault codes too....

Jason.

Parky

Passed Driver's Ed
Chico I read it is suppose to switch between trip info and audio control. So you can skip cd track and radio channels. Do u remember it ever working when u first got the car ?

Parky

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok I found out from VW service girl that the right arrows on the wheel do not control the cd/radio for a MY07 Gti.. From MY08 onwards yes it does.

Apologies for the confusion.

Last edited:

TDI_DSG

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK5
im still sure there is a setting in the MFD that you can alter,
that says, something like audio control / menu control.

something like that, where you can switch the function of the button from audio to the MFD.

Jason

Parky

Passed Driver's Ed
im still sure there is a setting in the MFD that you can alter,
that says, something like audio control / menu control.

something like that, where you can switch the function of the button from audio to the MFD.

Jason

Thats what i thought, But supposedly not. Can any MY07 Gti owners confirm/clarify this ?

funny

VCDS guru & soon Dad x2 !
Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
AFAIK steering controls were only implemented for MY08+ and i think coincided with the intro of the mp3 capable RCD500 (as opposed to non-mp3 version for MY05-07). Could be corrected on the last one and i don't know if it was just the radio or if there were changes to controller/s somewhere.

tooraktrash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 Golf GTI
You need a high-line MFD to use the menu button, for a MY07 you needed factory sat nav for the high-line display.

Probably effects the audio control as well as you can't get into the audio menu to change tracks or radio stations.

funny

Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
Yeah, that's right. MY08 got highline (full height MFD) as standard which means different controller for the instruments.

I think you'd need to do a highline conversion to get the other wheel buttons working for the stereo.

TDI_DSG

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK5
i wonder if you could swap the highline CECM with out doing the entire dash ?

i should add that my non GTI MY05 has audio controls on the wheel.....

Jason.

funny

Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
Yeah, i think they changed something after MY05 as the radio was very different for 06, 07 got a facelifted version, 08 got mp3 capability.

It's the combo of radio/cd changer and instrument cluster i think.

Someone has done a highline conversion here, i've seen the thread before. Lotta work though!!

tooraktrash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 Golf GTI
If you have the half height MFD in the cluster, do you have the rocker switch in the end of the right hand (wipers) stalk?

I know on the MkIV they had that switch and it changed between trip computer readouts.