GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vac pump rebuild or replace

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
I noticed a pretty good grime buildup around and under the vac pump. I think the seal has perished, should I get a rebuild kit or just replace the whole pump?

B6 Passat

Ready to race!
The majority of the leaking issues with these pumps are from the outer cover seal. I don't believe there is a replacement seal available separately.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
The majority of the leaking issues with these pumps are from the outer cover seal. I don't believe there is a replacement seal available separately.

X2 I ended up with new pump

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
There is a $30 aftermarket seal kit. I found the newest revision pump for $190. Probably going to bite the bullet and do it right.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Thats it.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
From my buddy Chris regarding the kit. He works on VW's all day long everyday.

"Yeah but they don't include the internal shaft seal that goes bad and causes the oil to leak into the vac chamber which in turn leaks past the outer seal. "

doc280

Ready to race!

"Yeah but they don't include the internal shaft seal that goes bad and causes the oil to leak into the vac chamber which in turn leaks past the outer seal. "

Well that very well could change my mind. I would have to investigate further.

doc280

Ready to race!
RKXtech response.

Your previous message

Is this true?

New message from: rkx-tech Top Rated Seller(1,753Red Star)

Hi,

The "vacuum chamber" is lubricated by the engine oil. If oil were not aloud into the chamber the plastic impeller of the pump would melt from the friction. The pump spins at half of the engine rpm at all times so when you have your engine wrapped out to 7000 rpm that little plastic vacuum pump impeller is spinning at 3500 rpm so oil in the chamber is critical and also completely normal. The pump is an "internally lubricated" component and has its own oil pressure supply to it.

I hope this helps and your question. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any more.

Ryan
RKXtech

doc280

Ready to race!
Someone needs to open up their old pump and investigate. Here is a video that I found that shows the internal workings of a 2.0 pump it does not Show a shaft seal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWATwtqCEXw

Thanks for finding the video, looking at how it works I would be inclined to believe what Ryan is saying. Without lubrication this thing would not last at all nor would the blades have a good seal, against the walls to create vacuum. I also do not see a shaft seal or where one would go.

I passed on a link to this post, to Ryan at RKXtech, he said he could answer our questions.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
For 29.95 quit debating and give it a try. Can't lose much if it doesn't work and super savings if it does work.

doc280

Ready to race!
By the way the kit is made from Viton. I used Viton seals in an air cool Porsche engine I built and never one drop of oil escaped. Good stuff.