GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Used Car Prices Keep Getting More Shocking

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
Got it, you want Biden to fix the supply chain, but mentioned nothing that would actually fix the supply chain.
*raises hand*
I made mention of using recently unused office and factory space from the pandemic to get production going again, in order to cut down on time to build new factories!

Do I get a participation award?!

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
You're what about ism is just a BS strawman argument to deflect from the fact that Biden has very little control over supply chains and free market pressures.
I don’t think you understand what a strawman argument is. I wasn’t creating a caricature of your leader, just pointing out the flawed reasoning in your obvious bias.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
*raises hand*
I made mention of using recently unused office and factory space from the pandemic to get production going again, in order to cut down on time to build new factories!

Do I get a participation award?!

The government doesn't own those spaces you want to use. What part of capitalism don't people understand.

The government can't just decide to use your property, unless you want them to go the imminent domain route?

Second, where will the equipment needed to outfit these factories come from?

Everything you've said are what companies could do if they wanted to. Do you want the government to force the companies to take these actions?

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I don’t think you understand what a strawman argument is. I wasn’t creating a caricature of your leader, just pointing out the flawed reasoning in your obvious bias.

Sure I do, it's where you claim that I'm arguing that everything was Bush's, Obama's, Trump's fault. I've never said that or argued that. That's literally a strawman.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Sure I do, it's where you claim that I'm arguing that everything was Bush's, Obama's, Trump's fault. I've never said that or argued that. That's literally a strawman.
I never mentioned you specifically, mister. I was speaking colloquially about Western culture as a whole. Hence when I said “universally.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
20% .neq. 0%.

Must be the new common core math.

First, 25% of corporations pay 0%. Second, there's a difference between statutory rate and effective rate.

This is why we can't fix anything. Americans don't understand the most basic tax concepts.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I never mentioned you specifically, mister. I was speaking colloquially about Western culture as a whole. Hence when I said “universally.

You quoted my post. Don't pull that BS.

Still a strawman, as no one made that argument.

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
The government doesn't own those spaces you want to use. What part of capitalism don't people understand.

The government can't just decide to use your property, unless you want them to go the imminent domain route?

Second, where will the equipment needed to outfit these factories?

Everything you've said are what companies could do if they wanted to. Do you want the government to force the companies to take these actions?
Mr. GTIFan99, I never said anything about government owning spaces. My response to companies promising factories by 2024 was to cut down on that time by using unused spaces brought upon by the pandemic….

Besides, we ain’t going to solve anything in this thread. Just merely rusing and amusing the reasoning for jacked car prices.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Will someone please tell the Government to put a turbo engine in the BRZ then, and get rid of the digital buttons in the MK8 then???

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
You quoted my post. Don't pull that BS.

Still a strawman, as no one made that argument.
I don’t care what a pair of thumbs on the internet thinks, let alone most of my personal associates. No offense but I don’t know you enough to care about mincing words for damage control. I took your statement to paint a larger context that’s all. And again, for the record, culture at large makes the argument that any current administration could and should be responsible for supply chains, whether or not they actually are. Kings, ancient or modern are scapegoats.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Mr. GTIFan99, I never said anything about government owning spaces. My response to companies promising factories by 2024 was to cut down on that time by using unused spaces brought upon by the pandemic….

Besides, we ain’t going to solve anything in this thread. Just merely rusing and amusing the reasoning for jacked car prices.

And companies are free to do all those things. They are choosing not to.

But the question was what the president could do, so I'm not sure what your point is?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
1641321750255.png

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I don’t care what a pair of thumbs on the internet thinks, let alone most of my personal associates. No offense but I don’t know you enough to care about mincing words for damage control. I took your statement to paint a larger context that’s all. And again, for the record, culture at large made the argument that any current administration could and should be responsible for supply chains, whether or not they actually were. Kings, ancient or modern are scapegoats.

No, culture didn't make that argument.

kyLman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf
Got it, you want Biden to fix the supply chain, but mentioned nothing that would actually fix the supply chain.

The US government doesn't drill oil, private companies do, they do drill for oil, barrels/day have almost recovered to pre pandemic levels, those companies export a lot of the oil, doesn't really matter though, because oil is a commodity.

Americans lack of understanding of basic economic issues is why we can't fix things. Don't look up.

I want the current admin. to incentivize producing our own products. I literally said that in my post, sorry you must have the horse blinders on today.
The sky is blue, the moon is real...are we just saying things that are obvious right now? Of course the government doesn't actually do anything that produces products. But...like I said in my rebuttal.... we can incentivize private business to do as such. Feel free to propose your own opinion as to what could help us, I missed that in your reply too, comrade.

I'm pretty sure American's electing politicians that don't know anything about basic economics is real issue. Stop electing brain dead politicians & their best friends.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Doug Demuro was on the smoking tire this week and they briefly talked about car prices. They were pretty much saying people still have it in their head that these are just 'inflation prices', but they both think this is what the price of cars is going to be now.

I only feel bad for people that don't already have a vehicle. The increased price on whatever you're buying is pretty much canceled out by the increased price on what you own.

The prices are up, people are paying those prices, and profits are better than ever. Why would they bring down prices?

From what I've seen in my industry the demand is far exceeding the supply and that's not entirely because the supply is lower than previous years. The supply may be down like 10% and there's a longer delay, but the demand is up so high I don't even know how to put a number on it. Everything is sold out 6-12 months out when normally we have about 50 units in stock. Even if supply was exactly the same as it was in 2018-2019 we'd still have no way to keep up with demand.

You see the same thing in other industries. It's impossible to buy a ps5 and after the same amount of the time they've sold more ps5's than ps4s. There weren't any problems getting a ps4 a year after release, but it's impossible to get a ps5 or xsx because the demand is that crazy. Graphic card shipments increased by 25% this year and even with that additional supply they're still impossible to get.

The only solution I can see right now is people need to stop buying shit as often as they do. Do you really need a brand new car every 2-3 years? Do things like phones and graphics cards really need to be replaced every year?

Also, I just want to remind everybody how much of a scam the last big factory (foxconn) that was supposed to be built in america and how it failed. I'm not sure why people were excited about another chinese factory that would just under pay and abuse workers rights in the first place, but it doesn't matter anymore. You can't expect the type of presidents that we've been voting in to get something done or do what's right. It's not just the presidents, but the people around them. They're all going to protect their own way of life, and their way of life is doing pretty damn good right now. If there's anything in the last few years I've seen is that nobody you vote for is going to improve your life.