GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

United Motorsport K04 Tune + Dyno

sippyyy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV R32
Hey guys, I was finally able to get my car on a dyno so I thought I'd share the results. This isn't an overly aggressive tune but the powerband is smooth throughout and the car is a blast to drive. Extremely reliable and I never worry about safety. Jeff at UM did a great job and Shawn at PerformanceLEDs was extremely helpful throughout the process. Feel free to ask any questions.

2008 4dr GTI, DSG
Stock Internals
BorgWarner K04
United Motorsport Tune & DSG Flash
Evoms Intake
APR HPFP
S3 Injectors
Forge DV relocate (vacuum operated)
Golf R Intercooler
BFI Stage 2 motor mounts
3" downpipe & catless Eurojet R32 exhaust
DevilsOwn WMI

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
What does "proper" mean? Even on the more mild "linear" version of my DM tune I put down 280 ft/lb. I'm currently running the aggressive mid-range version that does 325ft/lb. These numbers are on a Dyno Dynamics dyno which will be ~10% low compared to the Dynojet.

I asked Jeff about the torque numbers and his reply was "Those torque numbers are proper for ~22psi and little eaten up by DSG."

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I'm not interested in a tuner pissing match and neither are "most" of the tuners out there. From a consumer/customer perspective I think we are all interested in the differences between tune A and tune B and would like an objective discussion of the whys and hows each tuner gets to their respective end points. Different results aren't necessarily better or worse, they are options to consider. The OP's data shows a very nice flat TQ curve, as mentioned by Frank. Although I think the statement about "who cares about the maximum value isn't totally fair and shouldn't be the main point of the discussion...it's just one point along the entire curve. The DM K04+ torque curve for the linear tune isn't too shabby IMO. So what are the benefits of a flat curve vs something that builds gradually and tapers off?

Here is the linear data from my K04+ tune on a Dyno Dynamics dyno. Ignore the actual values if you want to - this is estimated at the crank and adjusted to be more comparable to a Dynojet but someone could debate the specific adjustments. Bottom line is the shape of the curves doesn't change from the raw dyno data. I believe DM did something like 12% dyno adjustment and 12% crank adjustment.

And my intent isn't to hijack the OPs thread. It's great that we're seeing a recent batch of new tunes along with objective dyno data and logs to better understand what is going on. I assume that someone coming to this thread would be interested in how these results compare to other options.

sippyyy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV R32
Thank you so much for adding to the conversation in a mature manner and in the best interests of everyone. That's sometimes hard to find in an online forum.

Here is the full reply I received from UM:

"Those torque numbers are proper for ~22psi and little eaten up by DSG.

on Golf R I run ~28+ psi to get 390+ ftlbs.

The decision comes:
how hard can we push the stock rods in your motor?
more boost will yield more torque. How much is enough for the dyno vs. too much on stock rods.

I prefer the shape of the curve you have vs. peaky.
The car should be much quicker than K03 car. (~sneaky fast, becuase the torque is flat)

If you want more we can do more.

-Jeffrey Atwood"

So yes, the tune could probably be a little more aggressive and I may decide to do so in the future, as long as we're able to keep the drivability near the level it's currently at.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Cool. Weather hasn't been great recently around here so I haven't been pushing much but so far I don't have any issues with drivability, although my tires are currently the limiter. I love Pilot Super Sports but colder temps + thin tread + FWD isn't a great combo for putting power to the ground.