GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ultimate Brake Upgrade using Stock Calipers

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Sweet! anxious to hear what you think. I'm loving this mod even more now than I did last week.

That is good to hear... as you said before, often the wow factor of a new mod fades quickly, glad to hear it is still impressing. That is pretty good endorsement for Tyrolsport. Now that I have it in my hands I can appreciate the workmanship (and I especially like the made in USA part). Install on Saturday! Along with the K04+ DM tune.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Tyrol Master Bracket went in today. Well engineered piece, easy install. I will drive in the morning and review. Red is threadlock which I wiped up.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
First impression
Well I have driven the car for a day with the intent of reviewing the bracket. I don't really feel any difference with the Tyrol Master Bracket. I checked the adjustment and it's adjustment still seems fine. I was hoping and expecting to at least be able to notice a difference of somesort. I tried all types of stopping scenarios including max pedal pressure from about 80mph. Perhaps if I were running stock pads that required greater pedal pressure I might notice it. I wanted to notice it but I could not.

I will reveiw again after driving more this week.

TyrolSport

Passed Driver's Ed
After driving it for a week with the bracket installed, report back. We are here to help in any way possible. Here is a simple test to make sure you have it installed properly; with the leveling shoe not touching the master cylinder, idle the car and press the brake firmly. Keep pressing until it stops. In most MK5s and MK6s, the pedal will actually travel almost all the way to the floor(!). Then release the pedal, tighten the shoe per directions and repeat the same test. The pedal should now stop at least 50% sooner than without the bracket installed. Let us know! :thumbsup:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
After driving it for a week with the bracket installed, report back. We are here to help in any way possible. Here is a simple test to make sure you have it installed properly; with the leveling shoe not touching the master cylinder, idle the car and press the brake firmly. Keep pressing until it stops. In most MK5s and MK6s, the pedal will actually travel almost all the way to the floor(!). Then release the pedal, tighten the shoe per directions and repeat the same test. The pedal should now stop at least 50% sooner than without the bracket installed. Let us know! :thumbsup:

I will check it as you have described and report back in a week or so. Maybe the install is incorrect.

kruegernaut

I'm from Detroit, Man...
Hows it going GIACUser? Im bummed you didnt feel a difference. My pedal feel was significantly changed. Now Im wondering if I had something not right with my setup for it to change that much? The car brakes so firmly now. Whatever my braking system was lacking, this thing provided it. One thing that might account for some of our differences is we arent running the same rotors and pads. Mine is a cheaper setup. Maybe your stopping power is that much better than mine already? Just thinking out loud...

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Hows it going GIACUser? Im bummed you didnt feel a difference. My pedal feel was significantly changed. Now Im wondering if I had something not right with my setup for it to change that much? The car brakes so firmly now. Whatever my braking system was lacking, this thing provided it. One thing that might account for some of our differences is we arent running the same rotors and pads. Mine is a cheaper setup. Maybe your stopping power is that much better than mine already? Just thinking out loud...

That was kind of my thought. The pads were much more aggressive than stock and require much less pedal pressure. I have quite a few miles on my current setup and I am pretty sensitive to changes and I honestly didn't notice any difference. I am going to do what Tyrolsport asked and check the install and report back so its not over yet. That was just my first impression.

Nataraki

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'92 BMW 318i
^ anxious to see your impression after a week or so as we almost have identical brake set-up and I'm looking at this upgrade myself.

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
Is it possible you have a little air in your system?

That was kind of my thought. The pads were much more aggressive than stock and require much less pedal pressure. I have quite a few miles on my current setup and I am pretty sensitive to changes and I honestly didn't notice any difference. I am going to do what Tyrolsport asked and check the install and report back so its not over yet. That was just my first impression.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Is it possible you have a little air in your system?

I don't think so, no symptoms of it. Pedal was already good, no excessive travel really, even when laying into the brakes super hard.

Brakes felt good before the bracket, no better or different after.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Based on Tyrolsport suggestion I have re-checked the install. I used my wife to operate the brake and hit them hard. I was seeing some movement I did not expect to see. It was actually a bit of lateral movement. I have turned the tension up by a 1/4 turn. I will drive in the morning and review.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Based on Tyrolsport suggestion I have re-checked the install. I used my wife to operate the brake and hit them hard. I was seeing some movement I did not expect to see. It was actually a bit of lateral movement. I have turned the tension up by a 1/4 turn. I will drive in the morning and review.

Based on Junkers suggestion I am going to bleed the brakes again, that could be part of it. After driving it today I am noticing a diff but I also notice my pedal is sinking a bit.

More to follow, it is starting to be noticeable though only in a minor way so far.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Based on Junkers suggestion I am going to bleed the brakes again, that could be part of it. After driving it today I am noticing a diff but I also notice my pedal is sinking a bit.

More to follow, it is starting to be noticeable though only in a minor way so far.

Well I finally got around to bleeding the brakes. During the bleed there did not appear to be any air in the lines so bleed was not an issue.

I struggle to notice a difference with the bracket. I put it in and adjusted it twice just to be sure it was installed with appropriate pressure.

So for me the Tyrolsport bracket did not result in any noticeable difference in firmness or pedal height engagement or difference in pedal feel under extreme braking.

TyrolSport

Passed Driver's Ed
GIACUser,

We're quite surprised and dismayed that you were not able to feel any difference with our MasterBracket installed. As with all TyrolSport products, we offer a money-back satisfaction guarantee. If you would like to return it for a refund, please email me (Mike@tyrolsport.com) and I will handle it. :thumbsup:

-Mike@TyrolSport