Ultimate Brake Upgrade using Stock Calipers

Nataraki

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'92 BMW 318i
^ anxious to get your review on this Tyrolsport bracket kruegernaut!:thumbsup:

kruegernaut

I'm from Detroit, Man...
Well Guys, I have about 200 miles on the clock since installing the brace. Here are a few items of note and review.

##Install##
Tyrolsport's install PDF is spot on. http://www.tyrolsport.com/product_inst/Master Cylinder Brace instructions v2.pdf I wont bother taking pics of mine, I wont do it better than they did. I didnt have to do anything extra, and it really was a snap to get in. You do have to cut a bit on your battery tray though. I used an air tool for that, but its just plastic so you could use a dremel or hack saw too. To cut away the small foam peice on the bottom I used a razor blade. If you have ever changed your transmission mount, this is basically the same level of difficulty and time. A novice should be able to tackle if they have the tools.

If you use your battery tray to mount an air intake to, be ready for it to be raised a few MM by the width of the brace. No biggie, but my intake is fussy so I had to make a small change to accomodate. Just something to be aware of, I hadnt thought about it until I installed it.

The foot mates to the master cylinder perfectly. I preloaded with a full 1/4 turn and then moved the locknut into place per the instructions. I didnt use locktite here, I figured if it moved any I could put some on later if needed, but it hasnt moved. The lock nut is an odd size, but 17mm open wrench works ok. Tyrol, any reason you guys didnt go metric there?

##First impressions##
I have a stoptech performance street setup for rotors lines and pads. Not a huge deal, but nothing like stock either. When I went from stock to that, the difference was pretty intense IMO. The first thing I thought after installing the brace was about the same level of change and intensity. Like if you have VCDS brake assist set to 2 to firm up your pedal, you might consider this like setting it to 10 if you could do that. The harder you press on the pedal, the more you feel the brace working. Its very smooth and connected. It makes you feel like you did another brake upgrade. You can feel it every time you use the brakes regardless of how hard you are braking.

##200 miles later impressions##
Often with mods we quickly forget what the system was like before the mod, and appreciate slightly less the changes we made, unless we drive somebody elses mushy stock setup... I noticed today I was driving about 50 MPH and a light went yellow while I was fairly close. I decided to stop. I wasnt thinking about the brace, but when I slowed down quite fast with less effort on the pedal, and how firm it felt from my foot all the way to the wheel so to speak, I remembered the brace quickly and thought to myself, this thing is awesome! It feels like the car should have came this way from the factory, and I think thats one of the judging points for a great mod. As time goes on, whether you remember how it felt before or not, the system you changed is "better" than it was.

##Verdict##
If you can spare the 260+ buy it. You will enjoy it every time you brake. If you have already put 600.00 or more into your braking system, consider this a 50% upgrade that you shouldn't have to live without. Really if your putting coin into your braking system to make it "better", this thing should be on your list. I have no buyers remorse, this is a quality piece and a great mod.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
##Verdict##
If you can spare the 260+ buy it. You will enjoy it every time you brake. If you have already put 600.00 or more into your braking system, consider this a 50% upgrade that you shouldn't have to live without. Really if your putting coin into your braking system to make it "better", this thing should be on your list. I have no buyers remorse, this is a quality piece and a great mod.

dam you kruegernaut..... nice review... excuse me while I go order one.

I have an all Tyrolsport car now between the full subframe kit and brake stiffening kit.

ORDERED

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Giacuser, you have rear subframe kit too? I have front but not rear. Been wondering about it.

No I don't have the rear. Not really having problems with the rear shifting or creaking. The front is a common problem and I was having that.

I had to order the Master Bracket though because of your review and because I have been in pursuit of the "Ultimate Brake Upgrade using Stock Calipers" so thanks again for the review.

Nataraki

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'92 BMW 318i
thanks for your initial review kruegernaut, this is on my next list of mods.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
In the theme of the thread and thanks to a very positive review by Kruegernaut, I of course had to get one too. This will go in on Saturday.