GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ukraine: WAR Huh - What Is It Good For Absorootly Nothing

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Don't know why they make it sound like the weapons are superior and my lack of knowledge is affecting my judgement about them.( They actually just mentioned it as I was typing this) I guess the bottom line is if Putin can see that he's going to lose does he believe the only way out is nuclear. I just wish they would quit talking about how improved those weapons are giving me potentially false impressions about how I think the outcome could be.

It depends on what you consider making them superior.

Take this video for example

At 0:05, you can see the SU-25 struck by an older Russian made Igla MANPAD (based in forward fuselage strike rather than rear quarter). Had this been a current version Stinger or Verba the plane would have been downed. Both the current MANPADS from both sides are very effective and are smart enough to avoid losing primary target to flares/decoy.

For man portable ATGM, the Javelin is very difficult to beat, especially since the Russians are rolling around in the exact tanks (late mod T72s and T80s) the missile was designed to kill.

Based on what you've been writing here, I can say the same thing about you.

🤣🤣

go away troll

Last edited:
Reactions: WAP

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Just heard an interesting report on TV speculating exactly how Russia is going to control a nation of 44 million people with an Army of 150,000 soldiers.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
What I didn't want to do was have you guys argue about this. I just wanted knowledge so I can understand the situation better.

Tanks want to fight tanks, and only tanks.

A tank’s worst nightmare is a hunter/killer team with some ATGMs just waiting for targets to present themselves. It looks like those teams are starring to ramp up engagements now a massive supply of ATGMs are being fielded.

Also, Poland just delivered a convoy worth the ammo and current generation MANPADs to Ukraine.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Tanks want to fight tanks, and only tanks.

A tank’s worst nightmare is a hunter/killer team with some ATGMs just waiting for targets to present themselves. It looks like those teams are starring to ramp up engagements now a massive supply of ATGMs are being fielded.

Also, Poland just delivered a convoy worth the ammo and current generation MANPADs to Ukraine.
Tanks are basically only useful if your enemy is kind enough to line their tanks up against yours and everyone just slugs it out.

You can't use most heavy weapons unless you're willing to raze another country to the ground, salt the earth style.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
There's so much I don't understand. Like why Biden isn't playing hardball with Putin. It looks like some of our allies are doing more to help.
Based on listening to reporting yesterday, it sounds like the reason Biden isn't going harder on sanctions is his desire for alignment with the EU. The EU isn't ready to completely isolate Russia and live without their gas and oil, yet.

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
Everyone likes to talk about how great their weapons are. Remember, most folks on TV don't know shit about shit, they just read what someone else told them to read.
Did Stingers help kick the Soviets out of Afghan? No. Will they help now? No.
The Russians will win this military campaign. If you somewhat follow the reporting from the south and south-east theaters, you'll be more aware of the progress -- more reporting comes from there due to the rebels having a lot of war reporters with them.
So what makes you an expert? In what capacity have you served as a weapons expert?
To be fair, I'll pose the same question to Corprin.
I'm in the same boat as Jim here, I have never been in the Military and don't have much knowledge about military grade weapons, so just looking for accurate info.

Last edited:

HelloNewman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7
I know that you weren't talking to me. And I admit my lack of knowledge and it frustrates me. I hate seeing what is going on and I understand I don't have the facts etc that I need to form more educated opinions. There's so much I don't understand. Like why Biden isn't playing hardball with Putin. It looks like some of our allies are doing more to help.
Just my .02 but getting the US involved in any serious military operations right now would be a massively unpopular decision for most of the US public. We just got out of a 2 decade long clusterf**k. I think it's safe to say most people would rather stay out and let other countries get involved in what is undoubtedly going to be an extremely messy situation.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Not a bit. Ukraine has been using Jav’s since 2018, and has domestic and imported man-portable ATGMs. Same with MANPADS, they’ve had them for years… they just got a whole lot more and are well trained on their use. Likely what they waxed that Chechnyan column with.

As for Putin… no clue. I’m more familiar with troops on the ground. The wack jobs at the top were far less stable and/or predictable. 🤣

@Corprin ,@cb1111 ,@anotero and anyone else I left out. From what I'm reading and hearing on TV our anti tank missiles and Stinger missiles are far superior to anything Russia has. So is the fear that if we use these weapons to stop the attacks is Putin crazy enough to use nuclear weapons knowing he can't win with conventional weapons and then would be forced to save face by overwhelming Ukraine with nuclear weapons?

In early/mid January the UK gave the Ukrainians 2,000 of the Next Generation Light Anti-Tank Weapon, (NLAW)...& also a detachment (30 troops) of our newly formed Ranger regiment (Special ops Brigade)..to train the Ukrainian Army in their usage..amongst other things...

Russia-Ukraine tensions: UK sends 30 elite troops and 2,000 anti-tank weapons to Ukraine amid fears of Russian invasion | World News | Sky News

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
So what makes you an expert? In what capacity have you served as a weapons expert?
To be fair, I'll pose the same question to Corprin.
I'm in the same boat as Jim here, I have never been in the Military and don't have much knowledge about military grade weapons, so just looking for accurate info.

I am no expert, for sure, more a Jack of many trades.

My experience is limited to serving from 1997-2008 in various roles in the Army. One of which was to know capabilities of friendly and enemy weapon systems, and tactics. I did some time in an anti-armor section (Dragon/Tow-2). Another role was doing intelligence work, planning, and counter insurgency. From 2013-present I dabble in strange convoluted government things.

I am not an expert and my analysis skills are rusty… but they are still there.

@anotero, how about you?

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I am no expert, for sure, more a Jack of many trades.

My experience is limited to serving from 1997-2008 in various roles in the Army. One of which was to know capabilities of friendly and enemy weapon systems, and tactics. I did some time in an anti-armor section (Dragon/Tow-2). Another role was doing intelligence work, planning, and counter insurgency. From 2013-present I dabble in strange convoluted government things.

I am not an expert and my analysis skills are rusty… but they are still there.

@anotero, how about you?
I've always been curious as to how that works - did you go to any school, or straight to the army and then they teach you there?

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
I've always been curious as to how that works - did you go to any school, or straight to the army and then they teach you there?

You go in, they first teach basic soldiering skills for 6-8wks (shoot move and communicate), then you go to your speciality school that can be a few weeks to months. This teaches you the specifics of your job on a very basic level. Then you go to your unit or maybe more schools and keep learning as you go.

Inadvertently dodged the question. I went to a few semesters of Uni then needed a change and enlisted. After I got out I went back to school, earned my degree, and back into gov’t work.

Last edited:

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Snake Island soldiers were captured alive, I don't envy them at all.