GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ukraine: WAR Huh - What Is It Good For Absorootly Nothing

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I love that the world is tracking the RQ-4 flying over the Black Sea, I like to imagine the airmen who planned that sortie are fully aware of the fact that they're trolling Russia with it being so visible so close to them.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Zelensky is asking the UN to strip Russia of its Security Council vote based on the fact that the seat was awarded to the Soviet Union, not Russia, and that the USSR no longer exists.

He has a point, why did Russia get the position and not Azerbaijan, Georgia, Ukraine, etc. who all maintained peer level national status within the USSR?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Zelensky is asking the UN to strip Russia of its Security Council vote based on the fact that the seat was awarded to the Soviet Union, not Russia, and that the USSR no longer exists.

He has a point, why did Russia get the position and not Azerbaijan, Georgia, Ukraine, etc. who all maintained peer level national status within the USSR?

I think mainly because Russia was the biggest country & the one that got all the nukes from Ukraine after the split up...it also had the ex capital of the USSR...

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I think mainly because Russia was the biggest country & the one that got all the nukes from Ukraine after the split up...it also had the ex capital of the USSR...
Yeah I understand the rationale, I just think it's hilarious that someone could make this argument with a firm leg to stand on. The UN Charter of 1945 doesn't list Russia... it lists the Soviet Union.

The entity which once was the USSR no longer exists to claim that authority, so why transfer it at all?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Germany announced they're increasing their military budget by 100B euros for 2022, also with finally giving russia the boot from swift

https://apnews.com/article/russia-u...-scholz-nato-91c93ef0dc7e759d202c0eee9c070ea5

They have for years NOT been spending 2% of GDP on defence as per their requirements as a member on NATO...that new spending will only just bring it up to that level...

Also Putin is ratcheting up the levels...places his nuke lot on "high alert"...doesn't mean to say he'll use them.....just they can respond quicker..

Russia: Vladimir Putin orders military command to put nuclear deterrent forces on high alert | World News | Sky News

Last edited:

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
They have for years NOT been spending 2% or GDP on defence as per their requirements as a member on NATO...that new spending will only just bring it up to that level...

Also Putin is ratcheting up the levels...places his nuke lot on "high alert"...doesn't mean to say he'll use them.....just they can respond quicker..

Russia: Vladimir Putin orders military command to put nuclear deterrent forces on high alert | World News | Sky News
The additional 100B will (slightly) now surpass the 2% requirement. Even still it's a major change in policy.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate