GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ugly Front License Plate (How did you fix it?)

rmoleman

It is finally spring in Chicago and I am looking at the ugly front license plate holder on my car. The original owner or dealer just put it on with a couple of self tapping screws and it looks like hell.

What have you done to mount your font license plate?

Attachments

• IMG_0011_.JPG
    IMG_0011_.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 2,347

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Unsure about the mounting since I haven't needed a front plate in years (some people use the mount that screws into your tow hook hole), but I can offer how I fixed the holes in my grille.

1. Put masking tape on the front of the grille over the holes.
2. Fill the holes with epoxy from the back of the grille.
3. Let the epoxy dry.
4. Remove the masking tape.
5. Sand the front flat.
6. Paint with color of your choice.

Edit: Something along these lines - http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155069
I've also seen people just zip tie it to the honeycomb lower section. Not sure how that affects airflow though.

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
Buy a grille with no holes and have no front plate. Sell your grille. I did this in CT.

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
Some states (CA, and NY, I believe) front plates are mandatory and will result in fees/fines without it.

Cherb32

This rabbit eats rice!
Car(s)
2008 Rabbit
Some states (CA, and NY, I believe) front plates are mandatory and will result in fees/fines without it.
Truth. I just got a ticket not too long ago for no front license plate ($25 fix-it ticket if you show proof of correction). I took my front plate off and plugged them. Painted the plugs and it ended up like this

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
The reason I said stickers, I saw an audi here with a euro sticker, that looked like CAs plate. Asked if he's been ticketed he said no, and has had it for 4+ years

I've heard of people getting a euro plate for the front that matches their rear tag number, but not necessarily the design, and being okay... sometimes. It all depends on the officer, I guess.