GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tyre Width Query

vwgtimkv

Out of love for the car
Hi Guys,

Just checking if somebody could help me out with this. Is it possible (or even advisable) to fit 235 45 R17 tyres to the standard 17" wheels? I've had a look around and can't find anything conclusive. I'm just wondering whether the 235 width tyre will be too wide for the 7.5" wheel, given the stock tyres are 225 width.

Cheers

vwgtimkv

Out of love for the car
I say this because the Goodyear Eagle Assymetric tyres are available now in Australia and the closest available size is 235 45 R17. They are having a buy 3, get 1 free sale this month at Goodyear Autocare service centres. And I'm due for new tyres. With the falling $A it's starting to rival the price I could source them from Tirerack for.

Cheers

NGT10V

going, going, GONE
i think they should be ok. in my experience 235s work fine with the stock rim size, both on the road and the track. obviously the speedo will be different (probably closer to actual speed) but they fit the wheel ok, and don't rub on the guards.

happy for others to suggest otherwise...

dodgey

Not a VW owner
i think they should be ok. in my experience 235s work fine with the stock rim size, both on the road and the track. obviously the speedo will be different (probably closer to actual speed) but they fit the wheel ok, and don't rub on the guards.

happy for others to suggest otherwise...

Nick, this might be a silly question, but if the rolling diameter of the wheel stay the same and only the width is different, why would the speedo be out of whack? It should still be the same wouldn't it?

Last edited:

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
Nick, this might be a silly question, but if the rolling diameter of the wheel stay the same and only the width is different, why would the speedo be out of whack? It should still be the same wouldn't it?

The first figure is the width of the tyre in mm, the second figure is the sidewall height as a percentage of the width and the third figure is the size of the rim that the tyre fits.

Stock tyres are 225/45/17
Rolling Radius 317.15mm
Circumference 1992.71mm
Diameter 634.3mm

Proposed tyres are 235/45/R17
Rolling Radius 321.65mm
Circumference 2020.99mm
Diameter 643.3mm

Differences between the two are
Rolling Radius 4.5mm
Circumference 28.28mm
Diameter 9mm

So if the stock tyre read 100kph this means the 235/45/R17 will read 101.4kph.

Your results may vary but my speedometer is now calibrated to my canbus speed and I am exactly 2kph out. If I did this tyre upgrade my I would be .6kph out.

The standard error on the speedometer is substantial but your canbus/odometer would be almost spot on after this upgrade.

funny

VCDS guru & soon Dad x2 !
Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
Fark, they come out NOW......

Must scrub up my GSD3's faster...

Dingah

Crusty Aviator
Car(s)
Audi SQ5
I say this because the Goodyear Eagle Assymetric tyres are available now in Australia and the closest available size is 235 45 R17. They are having a buy 3, get 1 free sale this month at Goodyear Autocare service centres. And I'm due for new tyres. With the falling $A it's starting to rival the price I could source them from Tirerack for.

Cheers

How much do four Eagles work out at?

Dingah

dodgey

Not a VW owner
Ahh, thanks. Don't know what I was thinking last night... Sidewall =% of width. I must have been thinking sidewall =% if size of rim

Cheers Mav :)

vwgtimkv

Out of love for the car
Jesus, it's pretty decent value.

I was originally going to get these tyres from Tirerack and they would have cost $US949.68 delivered. Which was great, except for the fact that the exchange rate has dropped by 20% in the past month. Hence they will now cost ~$A1140, and then I have to pay for someone to fit them (plus buy valve stems etc). I just rang Goodyear Autocare and they tell me that with this deal, I can get 4 x 235 45 R17 Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric tyres fitted for $1108. Which is great value. The deal goes for another week, so I'm going to go and grab some some time next week.

Cheers

Dingah

Crusty Aviator
Car(s)
Audi SQ5
Many thanks - good value.

Dingah

funny

VCDS guru & soon Dad x2 !
Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
That is a steal!!

CiaranGTI

Schwam, Doo, Doo and heif
Jesus, it's pretty decent value.

I was originally going to get these tyres from Tirerack and they would have cost $US949.68 delivered. Which was great, except for the fact that the exchange rate has dropped by 20% in the past month. Hence they will now cost ~$A1140, and then I have to pay for someone to fit them (plus buy valve stems etc). I just rang Goodyear Autocare and they tell me that with this deal, I can get 4 x 235 45 R17 Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric tyres fitted for $1108. Which is great value. The deal goes for another week, so I'm going to go and grab some some time next week.

Cheers

I'm getting a set, thats great value!

WhiteJames

Fun Nazi
Car(s)
VW Golf GTI MKV
235 wide on 45 series may induce rubbing on front fender. Seen GTI on track with 235/45 = plenty of rubbing. Better stick to 225 to stay clear of rubbing issues.

Cheers
WJ

vwgtimkv

Out of love for the car
235 wide on 45 series may induce rubbing on front fender. Seen GTI on track with 235/45 = plenty of rubbing. Better stick to 225 to stay clear of rubbing issues.

Cheers
WJ

I wonder if getting a 40 series might overcome this problem?

Cheers